Possibly going home tomorrow

beth-28
on 11/29/11 3:59 am

So yesterday I got switched. Here's a summary of how things went.

I got to the hospital at 8am for surgery at 10 am. I was put in a small to change into a gown and a sheer blue muffin hat. Then we went over my medical history several times with different people. As I was wheeled from room to room, I placed a large note on my chest "I'm having the Bileopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch.....just to ensure there was no confusion! :-P

Then we went into the OR....I breathed some gas from a mask and I was out. Then I was waking up in the recovery room, then to a regular room. I wanted to walk then but the nurse said i was too drowsy. About 2 hours later I was allowed to walk the halls with hubby.

After hubby left i was drugged more and slept. When I woke up this morning I went walking several more times. I worked on my IS too. About lunchtime I was allowed to have 2 medicine cups ( one broth, one water ) each hour. Sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk.

I've had no real problems with gas except right after surgey. I'm sore and tender in the lap holes/cuts. And I should be going home tomorrow!

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 4:03 am
Glad you're doing good...but I'm wondering why you are going home so soon after your DS. I personally feel one day in the hospital is not enough.  Is there a reason you're keen on going home? I've not been on the board in a while, so I'm probably mising something.
PatXYZ
on 11/29/11 6:39 am
In Canada, whether you see Gagner or Hong, 2 nights in the hospital is typical now for a morning DS surgery without complications. I think the mentality now is to get people out ASAP to reduce the risk of infection, particularly with superbugs.
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 6:44 am, edited 11/28/11 6:48 pm

I knew I was missing something--thanks for filling in the blanks.

ETA: Voellinger is in NC. So the norm is 3 days in the hospital for Canadal? Wow.

sandyv63
on 11/29/11 4:28 am - Naples, FL
I told you you'd breeze through it! Usually they won't release you until you have passed gas so if you haven't done that yet, and it took me three days, you are not likely to get released. Don't be in a rush to go home. You had some serious surgery and it isn't a bad idea to have a nurse looking after you another day.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Kingy
on 11/29/11 5:02 am - Hobart, Australia
Very happy it's going so well for you Beth!  I'd also be asking them when you're having your leak test before you shoot out the door for home.  Usually it's done a couple of days after the surgery but may differ depending on the surgeon.

DianaRR
on 11/29/11 5:25 am - CA
congrats on having such a great start to your DS life!

fullhousemom
on 11/29/11 6:10 am
 Glad to hear everything is going well. All that walking is great for you. I also agree that you should have the leak test before you leave and another day in the hospital wouldnt hurt!  I think a three night stay for this surgery is pretty common. 
prettypixels
on 11/29/11 7:11 am
Congratulations!
determineddanni
on 11/29/11 8:07 am
Wow you are rocking your DS already! Sounds like a flawless recovery, just remember not to pu**** and make sure you are all healed.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 432 views