How much can you eat at 6 weeks post op?

dlappin413
on 12/2/11 8:05 am - Woodstock, GA
I'm looking to see the range of amounts people can eat/should eat at 6 weeks post op.  I read some can only eat a bite or two and others more?  Can I get some more specific numbers in ounces and/or cup measurements?  Thanks so much!
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 8:18 am
 You won't really know until you get there.
dlappin413
on 12/2/11 8:26 am - Woodstock, GA
What were you eating at that point?  I'm looking for a guage rather than a definite.

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 8:32 am, edited 12/2/11 8:32 am
 Egg salad,  tuna fish, scrambled eggs,  yogurt, cottage cheese.  In small quantities,  frequently.  Focus needs to be on FLUIDS and PROTEIN.

Valerie G.
on 12/2/11 9:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I could eat only a few bites myself.  I think maybe a half a cup if that much.  It took a while to build up.  Don't ru****

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T H.
on 12/2/11 9:40 am - Bryantown, MD
At 6 weeks out, I could probably eat 3 buffalo wings or most of a McDonalds double cheeseburger with ONLY the meat and cheese... maybe.  I mostly ate protein only and 1-2 protein coffee/shakes a day.
The only place were success comes before work is in the dictionary

Lisa A.
on 12/2/11 10:07 am - Windsor, NY
I could not barely eat or drink. Everyone has such different recoveries you will just have to wait and see how yours is. Good luck!!

Elizabeth N.
on 12/2/11 10:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
It varies a lot. I remember that at my 6-week checkup, for which I met Happycatbert aka Sharon for lunch, I ate one shrimp skewer from either Fridays or Ruby Tuesday.

At that point you should be aiming for 30-60 grams of protein per day and 64 oz. of fluids. Don't think about adding in other foods unless you can consume that much protein and fluids.

RKLC2002
on 12/2/11 11:44 am - Omaha, NE
I'm 7 weeks today.   I feel like I can get more water in at a time than I could before.  But, I really want to chug a large glass of water, but that's not going to happen!   At least not for a long time.

I have kind of a normal routine that I do:
11 oz of Premier Protein shake (30 grams protein).  This takes me about 60 minutes to slowly drink it for my breakfast.
Then, about 10:30 or so, I need some more protein, so I have a piece of cheese or yogurt.  It takes me about 20-30 minutes or so to have my yogurt.
For lunch and dinner,  I have about 1/4-1/3 cup of chicken salad or 1 1/2 Boneless wings. (About the size of a chicken McNugget.)    I tend to do the same any other time I can sneak in another protein.  

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

dlappin413
on 12/2/11 10:51 pm - Woodstock, GA
First, thanks to all who've replied to this post.  The feedback is very welcomed.

I believe the underlying concern I have is if I'm eating too much!  I'm just short of 6 weeks out.  I can eat anywhere between 1/4 cup to about 3/4 cup but, it's mostly at about 1/2 cup of food and leaning toward the 1/4 cup mark at a given meal.  3/4 cup has happened maybe twice.  I am getting in a minimum of 60 g protein and a minimum of 64 oz of fluid, usually in the range of 60-100g protein and 64-90 oz fluids.  I'm well within what I need to be taking in but, am I taking in too much?  I listen to my stomach in regard to fullness and I have never eaten to the point of pain and discomfort or vomiting.  I have eaten a little fast a couple times and gotten hiccups but, no pain or vomiting.  My focus is protein and, since I am getting enough, I am starting to incorporate some veges.  I've not yet had any carbs except once where I had a couple small bites of mashed potatos.  

So... what say you?  Am I eating too much?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 741 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1038 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views