Just when I think I've made up my mind....geesh!!!

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/26/12 12:38 pm
 I'm a researcher. Totally my nature to read, research, and research some more when making a decision. But then...

I met with the surgeon and when he breezed over the DS, I asked a question and was promptly told, by a well-known and regarded expert in the WLS world, that it was 'way too much surgery for most people". He alo stated "You'll definetly have diarrhea with this procedure". Threw me off my game...

Tell me I'm wrong: research I'm seeing says people have better long-term success with the DS, have diarrhea/bloating/gas initially but then it gets better and can be managed well by food. I read that malnutrition is rare now, if you are taking your vitamins and being proactive. Side effects in research appear to be similar to the GP.  I plan on having one surgery, so why wouldn't surgeons sell this procedure?? Do you feel like you are living post -DS to get protein, water, and vitamins just in? I just don't get it....

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

Herman
on 4/26/12 1:06 pm
 Sounds like your surgeon doesn't know very much about the DS.

'IF' he has done any at all I doubt it's very many. 

It wasn't to much surgery for me, and I was a lightweight. My weight loss went smoothly I was at a normal weight by 11 month out. I eat well and have no vitamin deficiencies and I do not have diarrhea. 

And most don't have the kind of problems he is talking about.

Honestly...... I would find another surgeon, as long as you have done your research who is he to second guess you. 

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
larra
on 4/26/12 1:46 pm - bay area, CA
This at least explains why his NP is so ignorant. She's taking her cue from him.

You did your research. You know your facts. You know that the DS is a standard of care operation NOT just for SMO patients, but for anyone who meets the NIH criteria for wls, including you. 
     If you know your stuff (and you do) and you are convinced that the DS is the right choice for you, don't settle for anything else. If someone else feels it is too much surgery for them, fine. That is their choice. But don't forget that the revision forum is stacked with people who thought something "less invasive" or "less drastic" was what they needed and who were wrong, or who were talked into something "less drastic", and who now are paying the price.

Larra

Sher Bear Mama
on 4/26/12 2:56 pm
I'm 4.5 months out and have NEVER had diarrhea.  We are all different.  I don't know where my body will be in a year or in 10 years, but I do know that at this point diarrhea and bloating aren't a concern for me.  

I pretty much tune out when the doctor, nurse, or NUT talks.  You're doing great by researching and talking to others who have walked this path before you.  I've found it to be far more valuable than getting any info from my doctors.

Oh, and regarding vites and protein, I do struggle with it.  But it's doable.  My life is pretty normal and I'm losing weight steadily thus far.

Good luck!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/26/12 9:19 pm
Thanks all- SO HELPFUL! And, he's seriously done lots of these but clearly prefers not to. I just wish I knew why??

Do they think side effects are worse?
Are they worried about malnutrition?
Is it because of surgery length?
Issues with aftercare?
Fears with patients not being responsible enough?

Seriously this surgeon and are office are top-notch, highly regarded as experts in this field. They have a bariatric specific office and are rated as a level one facility. The whole hospital they are connected to caters to the MO with all their equipment, waiting rooms, etc. they have performed over 5,000 WLS's. They are trained to perform all procedures, including the DS, lapascropically. I just wish I knew WHY they discourage it.......
bookfaerie
on 4/27/12 1:29 am
 You are exactly where I was two years ago. WAIT??? A surgery where I can eat and drink together? Where I can eat like a normal person and still lose weight??! Where I don't have to worry about dumping? Where I can take NSAIDS? And HOLD ON??? A surgery where 92% of patients keep the weight off after ten years instead of give or take half of patients? 

There has to be a catch!!  So I kept reading on medline. And nope. There is no catch. It's exactly what it looks like. 

I was a light weight too. I had the DS. It wasn't too much surgery for me. And I have virtually no side effects. 

I think their reluctance has to do with some biases due to some old malabsorptive surgeries, the fact that the lifestyle of the average DS'er (read: vites!) mitigates most diarrhea and nutrition issues, and simple lack of ability to make money off the procedure. A doctor can get in two RNY's and a lapband in the time it takes to do a DS. 

JMO and Experience. 
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
galla1
on 4/26/12 10:38 pm
 I would be very concerned if the surgeon who was goin to do the procedure discouraged it.. Makes no sense.. Is this surgeon listed on DSfacts.com? If not I would be concerned again..

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
Crazeru
on 4/27/12 5:42 am
Think of the DS as a bell curve, most in the bell have 1 or 2 BMs.  Those of us at one end have several BMs, and those on the other end fight constipation.  I had several BMs before my DS and still throughout the day.  It's my body and I live with it.  I did have months of diarrhea until I discovered Chia seeds and did two rounds of Flagyl to kill of all the bad bacteria in my gut.  It is a small number on both ends and the majority of folks are up in the curve and normal. 
The DS was the only way for me for my diabetes.  I still wouldn't change a thing.  I was a lightweight and only lost 65lbs.  I have no regrets.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

ambermay
on 4/27/12 9:36 am
I have bouts of diarrhea but that is usually carb induced.  Early out I was lactose intolerant (still am) and didn't know it, so I had it from that.  I figured it out and started digestive advantage for lactose and haven't had an issue at all since.  I was a "lightweight" to begin with and do NOT regret my decision at ALL.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

Valerie G.
on 4/27/12 11:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
There are way too many people, including medical professionals who confuse loose stool with diarrhea.

I consider diarrhea to be ****ting your pants on the way to running to the bathroom.  That's not my life.  I do have "loose stool" which means that I don't make big heavy turds anymore.  My poo comes out soft and puddin like on some days, very loose and fluffy on others, but nonetheless, I'm in control and NOT running or ****ting my pants.  Loose stool means no straining necessary.  It's easy and quite satisfying.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views