Post Op Ds Eating

ginany
on 4/30/12 6:31 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Hi All
Can you guys give me some ideas of what you all ate post op.  Im I week out.  Im eating both, sugar free jello, one protein shake a day and basically thats it.  Besides 64 ounces of fluid.  Im still a bit afraid of the full feeling,  What does it feel like.  I really dont remember what it felt like when I had my RNY.  Just remember things getting stuck and throwing up.  Thats all I remember.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

MajorMom
on 4/30/12 7:18 am - VA
That's about all I did the first week home except cream of whatever soup was on our list as well. Then I graduated to mushies and then to soft foods. Mushies included things like re-fried beans and Wendy's chili. Soft foods were things like cheese and shrimp ****tail.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

NoMore B.
on 4/30/12 7:34 am
Hi Gina,

For me, early out, being full felt more like a lump high up in my chest.  Just take breaks between bites and sips to make sure everything is settling with you.  At your stage, one extra bite could make the difference between satisifed, and OMG I'm going to explode.  Learn the quantities you can eat - and know that it''s going to change A LOT in the upcoming months.

My early go-to things were a lot like Major Mom said.

-Tomato soup (try it with melted cheese)
-Yogurt
-Scrambled egg
-Egg drop soup
-Melted brie

Think about things that are soft.  Roslin explained it to me like things that you could mush up with a cheap plastic fork.  Start there
ginany
on 4/30/12 12:22 pm - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Thats good advice, thanks Joanne
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

PatXYZ
on 4/30/12 8:59 am, edited 4/29/12 9:00 pm
Cream of mushroom soup (strained at first) was a big one for me. Even better with a bit of grated cheddar on top when you're allowed something denser. Tea, broth, protein shakes, plain milk, that's about it.
mrsannie
on 5/1/12 11:09 pm
 Watch the sugar-free stuff, sometimes that can bother us depending on what its made with, usually aspartame, stevia or Agave is OK, but any sweetener ending in "tol" (like Manitol, Sobitol or Xylitol) or anything high in sugar alcohols causes BIG TROUBLE for us!  Bloating, diarrhea, gas and all around unpleasantness.  I found this out the hard way!

Things are different from the RNY. I find a little sugar sits better with me than the artificial stuff.  We are all different and you have to see what works best for you!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
southernlady5464
on 5/1/12 11:12 pm
Early out, it was all liquid...I was 2 weeks post op before attemping mushies. And add more protein shakes!

As others said, watch the sugar free stuff unless you are extremely use to it...I had gone to splenda almost a decade ago so it didn't bother me but it can.

Also, at this early stage, you aren't getting in enough calories to matter so sugar isn't a real issue unless you find stuff too sweet, then dilute it.

I get a full signal...I SNEEZE!!!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

ginany
on 5/2/12 7:03 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Thanks everyone
I watch the sugar mainly because I am diabetic.  I also have onother question.  How often should I have a BM.  Haven't had one in days. 
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

MajorMom
on 5/2/12 7:05 am - VA
Start popping the stool softeners. I hope things get better soon.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 707 views
calcium/protein