A questIon about the DS and Weight Regain

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/10/12 9:20 am
 I just can't shut off my brain as I get closer to my surgery month...

I've read page after page on this and other boards and have seen some posts about weight regain after the DS but it always seems minor and on the low end. While I know excessive weight gain after the DS is possible-examples on DS Facts are good examples, I'm curious what those of you who are veterans and fraternize with other DS's have seen. 

Hiw many people do you know who've gained back a lot of weight? Do you know people who've gained back ALL their weight? Thanks for answering my burning question of the day!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

MajorMom
on 5/10/12 10:16 am - VA
I only know of a very few who've gained back some, none have gained all of their previous weight. Of those that gained back some, they were able to get back to basics and lose it or were able to get re-sleeved to correct a sleeve that had been left too big and lose. There are a few that stop losing too soon due to no fault of theirs or their surgeon but it happens in rare cases. The DS has the best statistics, but you have to do your part too. But, 90-95% success rate is pretty good odds.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

NoMore B.
on 5/10/12 11:14 am
 I  know many DS'ers in real life, and talk to even dozens more online.  I dont know ANYONE who has gained back all, or even a significant part of their weight.  I do know many who have gained a portion, such as 10, 20, 30 pounds.  

The people who have what we call "bounceback", are often times people who lost a bit much, ended up skinny, and bounced back somewhere they're still happy with.

I've maintained my 150 pound loss now, with my weight being stable for over a year.  I do notice that it would be easier for me to gain, for example a week out of town eating in restaurants and not really watching carbs will make the scale drift up a pound or two - but it also comes off just as easily for me now.

Julie R.
on 5/10/12 9:30 pm - Ludington, MI
I've had a ten pound rebound from my very lowest (too thin) weight.   As long as I don't go completely butt wild on the carbs (and I mean completely butt wild) my weight stays the same.     Just this winter, I had some rebound, and the pants that I'd been wearing for the past five years started to get too tight.   I cut back the carbs a bit, and I'm back into them.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Valerie G.
on 5/10/12 9:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
I've met many, many DSers in my travels, and I've not known of anyone to regain more than 25 lbs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mrsannie
on 5/10/12 10:06 pm
I am 21/2 years out and I have regained about 7 lbs.  I am not very compliant with my eating and I eat alot of food that I shouldn't, and I stay around the same weight.  I can go up so when I get a little heavier I cut down carbs, focus on protein and I'll drop it, all while eating all I want (that part is great!) I have seemed to level off at a weight that my body is comfortable with.

It is possible to regain all of it I guess, but I have never heard of anyone doing so.  I would think that if you ate that poorly the gas would kill you before you gained it all back!  That is the thing that keeps me in line many days!  

If you focus on protein and keep carbs and sugar low, you'll be fine, that's the big advantage over RNY.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
MsBatt
on 5/11/12 12:24 am
I'm over 8 years post-op, and my weight varies by as much as 5 pounds, up and down. And I eat a LOT. (*grin*) I tend to weigh more in the winter, when I'm not as active, and then naturally drop a few when spring comes. This is true of 'normal' people, so it doesn't bother me.
JazzyOne9254
on 5/11/12 1:11 am, edited 5/11/12 1:12 am

I only know one person who has put weight back on, about 25 pounds, but with a cure rate of 90-95%, I wouldn't worry about it!

In fact I'm having a heck of a time putting the brakes *on* this thing! I'm still 5 pounds from goal, but for me, just when I think I've stopped, it kicks in again with a vengeance!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 983 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views