The Big C - Constipation!

PSaadallah
on 1/2/13 10:56 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

I am three weeks post op and am having a LOT of trouble with constipation.  Still on "cloudy" liquids.  I was reading that the calcium and iron supplements can be part of the problem.  

What does everyone do to stay regular, and to solve the complete blockage issues?

airbender
on 1/2/13 11:34 am

ca and fe are both constipating, and I take a large dose of both,  i take 2:1  ca:mg, mg will help with the binding effects of ca and fe, try adding mg glycinate in that ratio to help with that....i have never had constipation or diarrhea (unless it is a scheduled cheat day....)

Valerie G.
on 1/2/13 12:21 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're still taking painkillers - they may be to blame, so try to wean off of them if you can stand some ibuprofen and discomfort. Otherwise, you can take Milk of Magnesia to soften your stool and add some more fat to help move it along.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ann M.
on 1/2/13 12:30 pm - Northern, VA

I add lots of fat and stay super hydrated.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

puppysweets1
on 1/2/13 1:37 pm - CA

If you are completely blocked, then get a disposable enema from the pharmacy and get some relief right away.  Stool softeners are sold over the counter, if you tend toward the big C, take a couple of those with your vitamins twice a day or so.  Keep your fluid intake up.  Throw back some shots of olive oil. Good luck

beemerbeeper
on 1/2/13 9:42 pm - AL

My huge doses of Calcium are mostly offset by fat.  But early on that wan't enough so I took Magnesium Oxide (not Citrate) along with my Calcium and Mag Citrate several times a day.  THat did the trick and if I find myself headed toward constipation I take a Mag Oxide and it helps.

You do not want to play around with constipation.  I've talked to too many people with anal fissures which can be caused by constipation (or too loose stools too).

Try the Mag Oxide.  I get it at VitaminShoppe so I can get it in one day.  And when you can start adding the fats to your diet.

~Becky

kmbailey
on 2/27/13 10:24 pm - Canada

I am having difficulties with constipation.  I have some lactulose that I am using up ([pulling fluid from your body) and it does help a bit, but I am afraid to take metamucil as I don't want to get even more backed up.  I am trying to get in 6-8 glasses a day of water but sometimes I just cant.  Will the metamucil make things worse>

PSaadallah
on 2/28/13 1:20 pm - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

I find that I need to take a daily dose of MiraLax in order to stay loose.  Drinking lots of water and eating lots of fat helps also.  When I get backed up I either take Milk of Magnesia or magnesium oxide to get things moving again.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views