2 week post op

R. Parton
on 3/27/13 6:31 am - TN
Today is my 2 week mark and instead of being happy, I'm depressed. In the past my weight has been up and down. And I know I should be thankful and think of this as a tool. But instead I'm so worried if I'll be able to do this for the rest of my life. I'm only 27 and can I keep up with all the protein, vitamins, and 64 oz for 50 more years if I'm lucky. And its life or death.
Thanks for any advice.
MajorMom
on 3/27/13 6:38 am - VA

It will soon get to be your new normal and you'll get used to it. The depression may be the effect dumping hormones has on you--this too shall pass.  Hang in there.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

thinlizzie12
on 3/27/13 6:39 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

You will. I found myself depressed during recovery period too. Now at 8 weeks out, feeling and seeing the difference....I feel so much better physically and emotionally. I felt the same as you....thinking "wow, this is permanenet...what did I just do?'. That feeling has gone away since then. Chin up....things get better from here I swear!

BrightsideSusan
on 3/27/13 7:26 am - Pleasanton, CA

After the excitement of the surgery and initial recovery, I felt the same way.  I had a rough couple of months, too, lot's of vomiting and food intolerances.   But between months 3 and 4 I really turned a corner and felt so much more positive about the future. 

Losing the weight is great and what most people around me were focused on.  I was concerned for my health now and in the long term.  Getting back to exercising helped me a lot (I am one of the rare people who LIKE to go to the gym) my eating is getting easier and I have more diversity in my diet - though I have a long way to go to "normal."  I keep my eye on that 1 year date which is when most people find they have settled in for life.

Best of luck and hang in there - it DOES get better.

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

BPD-DS on October 24, 2012

fitnessfoodlife.blogspot.com

beemerbeeper
on 3/27/13 7:39 am - AL

One day at a time.  I was super depressed at 2-3 weeks out.  I was dehydrated and didn't know it.  Once I got hydrated (ER trip for a bag of fluids) and started being able to sleep I started feeling better.

Vites, protein and water are just a fact of life now.  It's the way I live and it is SO worth it.  I didn't have my surgery until I was 50.  You have no idea how much I wish I had had it at your age.

~Becky

R. Parton
on 3/27/13 7:43 am - TN
Thanks for the encouragement. My mom keeps telling me just give it time.
R. Parton
on 3/27/13 8:00 am - TN
Do you all get most of your protein from shakes? I'm having a hard time finding a flavor that I like or can actually keep down.
PSaadallah
on 3/27/13 10:29 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

Syntrax Nectar has a lot of really great flavors of protein powder, and you can buy a sample box with different flavors.  I bought my recent batch from Amazon.  I can't stand any of the ready-made protein shakes; all that I have tried are awful.

As you go forward you'll start eating more protein other than in shakes.  There are actually days now that I can get all my protein from food (100+ g), but those are rare.  Protein shakes and low-carb protein bars will be your friends forever!  And it does get easier as you go along, and everything begins to be second nature.

Irishnurse
on 3/27/13 9:55 am
DS on 04/17/13

I would think something was wrong if you were NOT a little depressed. You just had your insides, cut, stapled and rearranged. Then after that you have not comfort foods. So,I would say it is normal but...BUT...you will get through it...and you will get better...and you will start losing and then wonder why you were ever depressed. =)

This is a new beginning and like most new beginnings the ride starts out a little bumpy. =) few more weeks on weigh in I cannot wait to see your happy post!

=DDD

Valerie G.
on 3/27/13 10:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Post surgical depression isn't that uncommon, so if you feel genuinely "off", communicate this to your doc so you can get treated for it.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 551 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 938 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 314 views