3 weeks out, not losing weight.

nicholivolkoff
on 5/21/13 11:29 pm - Canada

Hi, I had a 2 stage DS, just  3 weeks ago. They did not make my stretched out stomach smaller. I dropped almost 10 in the first week, but now have been stuck for 2 weeks. I eat a decent amount of meat protein and have shakes. I do not do the no carb thing, but not high either. I eat much less than before the surgery. I am afraid I may be a non loser. Or perhaps just don't burn enough calories to lose. (on medical leave from work). Is a stall this early normal?

southernlady5464
on 5/21/13 11:34 pm

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!

There are a VAST many threads on the 3 week stall! Happens to almost everyone, altho some have a 2 week stall and a small handful don't stall at all. Read this.

And take measurements...many weeks/months you will lose inches and not weight.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Irishnurse
on 5/22/13 1:27 am
DS on 04/17/13

I did the same thing. Drove me nuts. Now I am stalled again at 4.5 weeks. Also if you want to go into a ketosis burn I would drop as many carbs as you can. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jzwife
on 5/22/13 2:01 am
I had a "readjustment" at 3 weeks where I didn't lose anything for almost 2 weeks then effortlessly lost 10lbs. Now I am at that place again at 10 weeks. I have been at this stage for over 2 weeks of no losing. Its driving me nuts. I haven't gained anything or lost either. I'm hoping that one day I will go in and weigh and I will have dropped another 5lbs or so. I try not to weigh every day. I am shooting for more protein, trying to keep my carbs down.
Good luck! I know it will work. I guess its just a test in patience!
jashley
on 5/22/13 3:06 am
DS on 12/19/12

I had to put the scale away.  I try not to weigh myself more than once every 2 weeks.  Because this stuff was driving me crazy.  I was feeling bad about myself, frustrated that I was working so hard at compliance and nothing would budge for weeks.  Every time I got on those scales and nothing happened, I became more obsessive about it.

Then it dawned on me - I do not need the extra angst over this.  My DS will work it's magic, and my body will reset itself in it's own good time.

I finally started taking my measurements instead.  I do that once a month and working out/lifting weights scores big here.  The more I work out and build back my muscles, the more sluggish the scale becomes - again, it's not a good metric to focus on. 

allegedlylisa
on 5/22/13 3:17 am

Please don't feel you are a non-loser.   You are going through the 3 week stall that I've heard so many go through.  It's a time when we think we've broken our DS, or it's not working, or it won't work for us, and about 11 billion other things that cross our minds.  But it's all perfectly normal.

I am totally with jashley!  I drive myself nuts with the scale.  My mood depended on what the number said and who needs that kind of stress.  That being said, you've only been at it 3 weeks and what you are experiencing is very common and will most likely happen many times throughout your journey.  You want to see big numbers.  But, your body needs time to adjust and heal.  You're not a non-loser, you've just put your body through a lot and it has no idea what to do.  Your DS will work for you and you will lose however your body wants you to lose and according with how compliant you are with high protein, high fat, and low carb - and adding that dreaded exercise.  I'd love to pretend it can all be done with diet, but experience is telling me otherwise.  I eat 40% of what I used to eat before.  I would have expected to have weight falling off of me based on that alone...I added exercise which helped things, and now I have to add more frequency and intensity.  I'm only at about 37% of my weight loss 6 months out - behind schedule for most, but then again my BMI has lowered by 25 (77 pre-surgery, 52 now).

Lisa

fullhousemom
on 5/22/13 7:31 am
I was fortunate never to stress over a stall. I never stressed over the number on the scale, and I weighed myself daily. Bottom line....the DS works. Think about it. Your stomach is smaller and you malabsorb. It cant "not" work. And people will lose up to two years after their surgery. My suggestion is to wrap yourself around the beauty of the DS surgery and forget about the numbers!
ajrober2
on 5/22/13 9:42 am - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
Warning from someone who is almost 7 months out - you have quite a journey ahead of you. You WILL stall many times before it's all said and done, but you will lose. I expected my weight loss to be constant because I followed other people's journey and theirs seemed constant for the most part. WRONG! Weight loss consistency varies from person to person. I finally wised up and started weighing only once a month, twice at the most. Now I feel a lot better about my weight loss and I don't obsess over the scale anymore.

jashley
on 5/22/13 10:09 am, edited 5/22/13 10:09 am
DS on 12/19/12

Smart man.  I swear I stall for 6 weeks after every 5 lbs.  I just don't care about it any more.  It'll happen, and it happens better if it isn't being watched (like a pot).

nicholivolkoff
on 5/22/13 11:24 am - Canada

Thanks everyone. I will try to be patient! My biggest worry is that my stomach is big, and I can eat a lot. That is why I am afraid of failure here. The first stage of my surgeries was in 2009, VSG. So I am stretched out and have room for food more than most DSers at the start at least.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 774 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views