Question for the vets

Curves-r-us
on 7/6/13 3:21 am
Hi to all! I'm fairly new here, lurking behind the scenes mostly. I am quite a ways from surgery (probably still a year to go). I'm wondering how you deal with the temptation of eating junk at your desk at work? I'm so worried because i have a very stressful desk job and i am always popping some candy into my mouth without realizing it (gummy bears, liquorice, etc.). I have tried keeping nuts and other choices but they don't comfort me as the candy does. This will be a hard habit to break. Anyone else have to deal with this? I know i may be worrying for nothing because all my tastes might change after surgery, but in case they don't!
Thanks for your input and inspirational journeys!
meq815
on 7/6/13 4:06 am - PA

I'm no vet, by any stretch- almost 9 weeks post op- and was worried about the same thing.  I still have a huge food aversion, remarkably.  I never thought it could happen to me!  I am told my appetite will come back eventually, so I am just enjoying the weight loss ride for now.

You are smart for coming here now.  I was very unprepared for my surgery, and this place is chock full of wisdom and advice.

Welcome!

MajorMom
on 7/6/13 4:21 am - VA

I guess I'm lucky. I'm a salty / crunchy grazer and I snack on nuts at my desk. I also eat JayRobb protein bars. Could you cut up protein bars into nibble size pieces and mix them with nuts to appease a sweet tooth?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 7/6/13 5:08 am

Whatever is just THERE will be eaten.  Instead of having candy around keep cheese cubes and jerky.  Make it more difficult to get candy than the things that are good for you.  You won't always win but you will have a fighting chance.

Also there are things like SF gummies.  Russell Stover's makes them.  They taste great and they will teach you portion control fast!  Eat too many and you will be on the toilet!!!!

1MoreChance
on 7/6/13 7:27 am - AL
I have found that focusing on getting my required amt of water in each day keeps me from eating as much. I am one that has to have it flavored. For some reason plain water doesn't sit well with me since my ds. I also sip on coffee with splenda and heavy cream. That is what I became addicted to in order to feel like I was having something sweet.

I also would keep the candy off my desk or use the protein bar cut up and mixed with nuts as Gina mentioned. Or you could do that with some of the 85% dark chocolate candy bars by Lindt...something like that.

I have been measuring out a serving size of whatever kind of nuts I like and put them in a little plastic serving cup that has a lid, that way as I eat out of it during the day I still know exactly how many carbs etc I have had.

Also, once you stop the sweets for a while and get them out of your system it's not as hard to stay away from them. Just try not to start adding it back in a little at a time or you will eventually be right back on them. (I know this from experience)

I'm one that loves sweets before and after ds so I know how it is. I hope this helps in some way.

Ronnie

Ronnie HW~205/SW~191/CW~119/GW~120-115

Curves-r-us
on 7/6/13 7:41 am
Thank you for the ideas. I really like the protein cubes. I didn't think of that one.
sonyamarie75
on 7/6/13 12:58 pm - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I keep low carb protein bars in my drawer. I found some I like. If I must eat something I eat one of those as a snack. They aren't low cal, but they fill me up for hours and get rid of the munchies and cravings. 

I'm not a vet either. I'm still preop :)

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Julie R.
on 7/7/13 7:23 am - Ludington, MI

The first time you have to make 17 trips to the bathroom after eating too many gummy bears or too much licorice, you'll be cured.   

Seriously.   Any sugary candy that isn't buffered by a healthy dose of fat, such as jelly beans, gummy bears, gumdrop, licorice, etc, leaves my body almost as soon as it enters.   My stomach rumbles terribly, and diarrhea ensues quickly.    I am almost seven years out, and this is still the case. It has made me very selective about what I eat, how much I eat, and when I eat it.   I am the same way with ice cream.   I also know that if I eat more than just a tiny bit of wheat, especially highly refined flour in items such as bagels and pasta, my stomach will blow up to make me look eight months pregnant, and I will have very stinky gas.   Sometimes it's worth the price to pay, but most of the time, at least for me, it's not.   

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/7/13 8:06 am

In addition to what others suggested, I also learned that after I've eaten a meal now, I finally know what it feels like to feel satisfied and just comfortable. I have no compulsion for "just one more bite" just because something is yummy. My meals may be smaller, and closer together, but I don't really feel the need to snack between, unless it's a conscious effort, because of knowing it will be too many hours till dinner. If I know it will be maybe 8 hours till a meal or something like that, I'll make sure I have some snackage, but otherwise I won't feel the need to nibble.

Many of my old ways of eating just changed without effort. I don't think about food and how long till I can eat, and snack mindlessly till then .If I'm hungry, I eat something, and then I'm sated till it's long gone from my stomach. Having a sleeved stomach with this DS has been more freeing than I dreamed possible.

starlightlu
on 7/7/13 9:24 am - Canada

well miss curves-r-us, do not panic. Once you realize what lengths you've gone to be able to lose weight (chop off most of your stomach and rearranging your intestines; virtually the most EXTREME thing you can do to your body) trust me, you will be so overridden with guilt for popping those sugar devils that you will certainly think twice. I am finding it much easier post op to avoid the nasty food choices in part because of the averse reactions and the quilt issues.

Good-luck and don't forget, you can ALWAYS count on me for helpful hints and advice.

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 714 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1020 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views