Probiotics

Sumundo311
on 7/21/13 11:35 am - Saskatoon, Canada

Can someone help me, I need to know what kind of probiotics are most helpful to us that have had the DS? I was at the pharmacy and there is lots of different kinds, so what am I looking for?

Thanks

Susan

S Andrews
on 7/21/13 12:59 pm - eatonville, WA

I am pretty fussy about my probiotics and would rather spend a little extra to get a good probiotic. I would never buy a probiotic with a binder- always get one that is in capsule form. You can even open these up and mix with a little water if you want it to take affect immediately. I would also get one that is stored in the fridge so that the cultures are live.  I usually use RAW by garden of Life and have great results with it. You can get it at Super Supplements or other supplement stores. Make sure you get one that breaks down in your stomach and will last as it travels thru your intestinal tract rather than one that doesn't break down until it hits your small intestine. I think they work better and cover more area.

Good luck!

DivaJojo
on 7/22/13 5:38 am - Atlanta, GA

How can you tell if it breaks down in the stomach or small intestine?

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

jashley
on 7/22/13 11:18 am
DS on 12/19/12

I use Garden Of Life.  Great stuff.  It's expensive, but it's the only stuff that I have seen do a real job so far.  I didn't notice much difference with the other brands I've tried (and I eat yogurt every day).

I get the RAW stuff that has to be refrigerated.  It rocks.  I take a lot less of it, the diarrhea stops immediately, and I have very little gas.

Then I take Jarro probiotics every day (the Garden of Life once a week).  Jarro is shelf stable (doesn't require refrigeration).

Look for a product that gives you the most strains, and look for a product that gives you the most live cultures per dose. 

Also, eating yogurt every day helps also.

* Gail R *
on 7/23/13 4:44 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I used probiotic capsules but I supplement whenever possible with foods that have the biotics in them. Yogurt, kimchee, miso, and I am looking for a source of fresh unpasteurized sauerkraut.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views