PA says no to protein drinks

S Andrews
on 7/25/13 2:02 pm - eatonville, WA

I went for my 3 month check today even tho its really been 4 months ( dr. told me I didn't need to come in until then because he checked me when I went in for my hernia) Anyway my vit. A had been down to 10 but was back up in a normal range now, Vit D was 38 so could go higher but its at least going up from where it was prior to surgery. Everything was all normal except my protein levels which I need to bring up but the PA told me I shouldn't be drinking protein drinks anymore - that all my protein should be coming from meat sources, cheese, etc. There is no way I can consume that much protein by eating it.

Am I off base with this or have you all been told the same thing? I see that others are drinking protein drinks after several years out and am curious what you have been told about protein drinks. I am just having a hard time with the logic. I don't plan on my stomach getting too much larger than what it is now- at least if I can help it.

Good news- down 54lbs in 4 months.

Thanks

Sharon

2ndChance2k13
on 7/25/13 2:33 pm
DS on 07/08/13

First, congratulations on your loss!  That's awesome!

Second, I'm excited to hear what others have to say on this because at my first post-op appt. last week, my NUT said the same thing.  That we should begin to wean ourselves off drinks and get the protein from food.  So, I'm with you...  kinda confusing how to get that much protein in the natural way.  

alaska_aries2131
on 7/25/13 4:55 pm
DS on 06/15/12
Honestly I am not a professional but I couldn't possibly have even managed beating that much protein so soon out I am a year pot op and still suppliment my diet with shakes to reach the amount of protein I need a day. I do think its good if you eat as much as you can and I a am sure it is possible but I'm all for protein shakes. I would do the best you can at this point and if that means supplementing protein in shakes I say go for it
MajorMom
on 7/25/13 7:33 pm - VA

The dietitians that have worked for my surgeon have no problem with protein shakes for life. They say to use them as snacks in between meals or meal replacements. They encourage us to plan our meals and snacks though. Dr Elariny warns about becoming a "musher". That's where all you eat is liquids or very soft foods...I don't think I'm too much of a musher but dense food is hard for me sometimes.

Anyway, they think the protein shakes have helped me to keep my sleeve small rather than continually trying to stuff it with dense food and stretching it out. I'll take the smaller sleeve.  : )  Also, they say that taking my vitamins with the shakes is fine and my protein labs (protein, albumin and prealbumin) are excellent. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MajorMom
on 7/25/13 7:47 pm - VA

Oh!  The logic about dense proteins rather than protein shakes... The theory is obese people lack willpower and they need to feel constantly full to the max so they won't eat too much. The medical community still blames us for becoming obese and think because we're fat our nutritional levels before surgery will be good enough to sustain us until we get to goal.

--gina   

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

A. C
on 7/26/13 11:08 pm

Caligurl99
on 7/25/13 10:38 pm

I was told we would probably need them to some extent for life.....But i'm a newbie just going by what my physician told me :)

JazzyOne9254
on 7/27/13 1:08 am, edited 7/27/13 1:08 am

You've got a  thinking doctor! 

Don't be apologetic about being a newbie...everyone here was at some point.  We live and learn from each other.

Mosr DSer's I know have longer common channels than I have  (75cm), so I do have to supplement more. I just can't eat enough, and I'd rather do that than have a revision, although if it ever becomes medically necessary, I would.  I don't plan on being a factor in that.

That said, I know other DSer's who have 75cm and never had to supplement heavily.   There are so many variables that determine whether you do or you don't.  I'll bet if I didn't have prescription medicines for another condition, I probably wouldn't have to supplement either.  Some Rx meds "eat" (my terminology!)  certain vitamins. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

fullhousemom
on 7/25/13 10:59 pm

I am over a year and a half out and have always gotten my protein from food.  I have never had protein shakes.  My labs show protein levels higher after my DS than before my DS, so I am very comfortable with the path that I am on.

I too was advised not to use the shakes.

Early out, I think it is important to learn to eat real food.  By doing this, you are not just getting your body "back to normal," but through your post op monitoring, your surgeon can tell if you are eating correctly for a post-op DS patient.  If I was a NUT, I would probably advise against the shakes as well, AT THIS POINT IN YOUR DS JOURNEY.  I would want my patients to know how to properly eat after this surgery.  Its not just about getting enough protein.

You may think you want to rely on protein shakes right now.  It is no doubt easier right after surgery.  But I don't think that you can make those types of lifelong decisions for yourself.  Not yet.

There is a wide spectrum of DSers *****ly on their protein shakes for all their protein to those who never ever have protein shakes.  This is an individual choice for each of us, and shouldn't be made until you are further along in your journey.

PeteA
on 7/26/13 12:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I have yet to see anyone post anywhere that using the shakes caused a problem. The first couple of months I couldn't have gotten to my protein goals without the shakes. I think now I could get all my protein from food but I find it easier to do breakfast with the protein shake and to take my vitamins with the shake. My NUT didn't have a problem with it.

Maybe the extreme use is a problem (the mushers mentioned previously). As a meal replacement or snack I don't see a problem.

Congrats on your loss!!

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1017 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1185 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 476 views