Liquid diet before ds surgery

daisey_vasquez
on 9/19/13 9:52 pm - Houston, TX
My doctor has me doing a liquid diet for three weeks I'm one week in. He just gave me a basic list of what I should eat ,but it doesn't give specifics. How much protein and carbs I should have a day any suggestion for tips for me please
Member Services
on 9/20/13 12:13 am - Irvine, CA

Give your surgeon's office a call.....  if the list is not detailed then they need to let you know exactly what to eat!

Clay L.
on 9/20/13 12:18 am - GA
DS on 09/24/13

I'd recommend calling to find out what specifically your doctor has outlined.  I'm about 12 days on my liquid diet (although I have had a few solid things - bad Clay).

My guidelines are:  920 Calories, 100 grams Protein, 85 grams Carbohydrate, 20 grams Fat

Sharing the sample meal plan, which is what pretty much my last 12 days have looked like, as it might help:

Breakfast:                           Protein supplement* (12 oz) made with 1% or fat-free milk

Morning snack:               Light/ Greek yogurt (6 oz) or Sugar-free pudding (4 oz)

Lunch:                                Protein supplement* (12 oz) made with 1% or fat-free milk

Afternoon Snack:             Low-sodium chicken, beef or vegetable broth (6 oz)

Dinner:                              Protein supplement* (12 oz) made with 1% or fat-free milk

Evening Snack:                  Sugar-free jello (4 oz) or 1 Sugar-free popsicle

Drink at least 64 oz (8 cups) of the following beverages during the day:

Water 

Crystal Light, Mio, Propel, Powderade Zero, Vitamin Water Zero, Gatorade G2

Decaf coffee/ decaf tea (if desired, use sugar substitute to sweeten)

Clay L.

meq815
on 9/20/13 12:20 am - PA

Wow, 3 weeks is really hard!  I only had to do 5 days, and thought that was torture....

Good luck to you...hopefully it will go fast!

Valerie G.
on 9/20/13 12:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Agreed - contact your doc if they weren't clear..  If you're on a liquid diet, though, you shouldn't be too concerned about protein or carbs, especially if they gave you how many drinks to have.  Just avoid sugary liquids. That will keep carbs down to a minimum

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

daisey_vasquez
on 9/21/13 9:21 am - Houston, TX

Thanks guys i contact the office and find out what exactly they want me to take and thanks for those meal ideas

meq815
on 9/21/13 10:19 am - PA

Daisey, just wondering....your profile says your surgery was 10/1/83.....

daisey_vasquez
on 9/21/13 1:00 pm - Houston, TX

Oh wow lol I meant its October 1st 2013 

meq815
on 9/21/13 6:57 pm - PA

haha thought so!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1027 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views