wearing girdles after surgery

mollymcb
on 10/22/13 3:14 am - TX
I have worn a girdle daily since the birth of my oldest daughter I just feel more sturdy? Lol with it on really not sure of the word I'm looking for. .hah any ways I jiggle without it... can we wear them after surgery? Like within a week or 2? Plus when I don't wear it I get back pain...anyways thanks!
jethrine84
on 10/22/13 9:52 am - St Paul, MN

I would suggest asking your surgeon, but I'm guessing they won't want you to wear it at least until your incision is fully healed as shapewear can create a breeding ground for bacteria. You may also find it uncomfortable to wear, depending on if you're having open or laparascopic surgery. I had open surgery and could hardly stand waistbands for the first few weeks so a girdle wouldn't have worked for me. 

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/22/13 11:30 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Not sure about a girdle, but my surgeon made me wear a binder for 6 weeks after my surgery. The hospital gave it to me.

(I actually needed two that were velcro'd together to make one long one. Apparently the hospital didn't have any that were big enough to go around me -- which is weird since people go there to get bariatric surgery -- shouldn't they have bigger binders available??)

Anyway, the binder really helped me feel secure and helped with the pain. I noticed that if I tried to lay down without it on, it was uncomfortable.

But I was ready to get rid of it by the 3rd or 4th week! I stuck it out for 6 weeks, though.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Valerie G.
on 10/22/13 8:25 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It may be a challenge for a few weeks dealing with the incisions, but there is a belly binder that they will send you home with that will help immensely.  It's not fashion-forward, but it makes you feel more secure.  As for the jiggles, I wear them most days just to smooth things out.  The money and time never came available to me at the same time for plastic surgery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 443 views