Need to gain weight

robertabreton
on 5/6/14 2:10 pm - WA

I lost over 130# in one yr. I was hospitalized on ice chips in jan for a duodenal kink that resolved.  The problem occurred again and revision surgery was performed 3 wks ago. First time in hospital, I lost 6 lbs and managed to prevent more loss by adding xtra refined carbs. This time I've lost ten & counting. I am down 2 pant sizes since the last surgery. I can't eat enough anymore and my protein count is in the 50s instead of 90s. I want to stop the losing but can't seem to figure out what to do. I see the surgeon next week. When this happened before he told me to eat more, which I did. This time, I can't seem to get enough down to reach my targets. I am rarely hungry, so I am forcing myself to eat. My secret weapon before was sushi rice and poached eggs. Now I can't face the thought. Any ideas? I'm gagging on the drinks and it takes me an hour to eat a protein bar.

also, the ads on this site make it very hard to use my mobile device to post.

MajorMom
on 5/6/14 7:11 pm - VA

When you see your doc, ask about digestive enzymes. There is one called Creon but there are others. They help you absorb more of the food you eat. Keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

robertabreton
on 5/7/14 12:22 am - WA

Thanks. Will do.

PeteA
on 5/7/14 2:18 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That sounds really rough. I was wondering exactly what they did for the revision surgery 3 weeks ago?

I do agree with Gina that something along the lines of Creon should help. 

i'm guessing the soft foods will help. Egg, tuna, and chicken salad would be my best go to's and more carbs.
Maybe some of the powders they advertise to gain weight????

I hope your surgeon has some good ideas for you.

Pete

robertabreton
on 5/7/14 6:35 am - WA

He unattached the duodenal limb from the lower duodenum. Sewed that up that original incision and made a new incision connecting the two using a special new kind of staple. One part was occassionally collapsing into the other and causing big problems.

larra
on 5/7/14 9:24 am - bay area, CA

Creon is a great suggestion. Also, have you tried the protein shakes from Atkins? They were the only ones I could tolerate post-op. Cheapest place I found for them was walmart.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views