No Switch, home with a sleeve

NateH
on 9/28/14 7:33 am
VSG on 09/26/14

had a few complications and got a sleeve. Doctor didn't want to put me through hell to perform switch. My abdominal wall was too muscled and he would have really had to work inside me a lot to switch. Sleeve was Friday and I was home yesterday. Slow and in pain but home sipping water. Apparently one of the $15,000 tools broke inside me. Whoops! I was pretty complicated but he's happy with his success. Now rest and recover. I feel pretty spun up inside. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

NoreenRT
on 9/28/14 9:29 am - Warner Robins, GA

Glad your home and on the road to better health. Sip, sip, sip and walk often.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

larra
on 9/28/14 11:30 am - bay area, CA

Nate, I'm so sorry you didn't get your DS, but glad you're ok. Just focus on your recovery for now, and hopefully you will be able to get the switch part done at a later date when your abdomen is more friendly to your surgeon.

Larra

Chris Mitchell
on 9/29/14 12:16 am

Hope very a fast recovery! Also hope you can get the rest of the DS soon but I know allot of people that has lost allot of weight with the sleeve.

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vinnero0

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/14 3:38 am - Heber, AZ

I am sorry you did not get the surgery you wanted. Can you get the rest of it at a later time or is this it for you?

PeteA
on 9/29/14 4:03 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Glad to hear you came through it OK. Disappointing but you have to go with the guy poking around your insides to make the call.
Just rest and recover now.

NateH
on 9/30/14 3:21 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I'm glad he trusted his judgment and didn't just ram it through and further tear me apart inside. I'm quite happy with my sleeve. So far I'm progressing in recovery and learning to sip and eat small bites. It's going well; today I actually feel hungry for the first time. I doubt I'll get the switch, I just cannot fathom going back through this again. Thanks for all the well wishes and kind words. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

PattyL
on 9/30/14 3:40 am

Concentrate on your recovery!  Now you have had a few more days to heal.  Does your doc have a plan for the rest of the OP?  And who is your surgeon?  Was this a real DS surgeon?  I checked your profile and he isn't listed.

Anyway, for your own protection and to make sure you are being treated properly, get, read, and understand a copy of your operative report.  Read the report.  Don't just 'believe' him.

I have never heard of a surgery being cancelled because the patient had a muscular abdominal wall.  Sorry for the comparison but muscle is raw steak.  Just like the t-bone you buy at the store.  And the surgeon didn't have a cutting tool that would cut steak?  Very confusing.  And of course, if there were problems why didn't he just go open and complete the OP?

Just so you know, it's very important that you post again.  On another site, we are tracking patients who go in for one surgery and come out with something else.  It's NOT doctor bashing.  It's because the patients have the right to know if they choose Dr. X there is an increased chance they will not get what they paid for.  Yes there are cases where the proper thing to do is back out of the surgery.  Absolutely.  But we are seeing some of the same docs doing this over and over.

We need more competent, qualified DS surgeons.  But they need to be capable of doing the whole surgery, not just half of it!  Believe me when I tell you the whole OP has been done successfully on patients weighing 800LBS.  And these folks are usually quite ill and loaded with comorbs.  I actually met one of them.  I am hoping more really great DS surgeons emerge and soon!  But the, in my opinion, unethical, practice of saying you can do the DS when in fact, you can't, needs to stop!

It's like going to the Toyota dealership and choosing a new Camry.  But when you go pick up the car it's a Corolla.  And they tell you that's the best they could do.  Would that be OK with you?  Would you take the Corolla and look at upgrading to the Camry in the future?  Or would you judge that car dealer to be incompetent and go look for another?

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.

Will_T
on 9/30/14 7:14 am

I am with PattyL get the OR report, know your information. It might also give you information on weather  if you could ever have the 2nd part done later on if you decide you want it.  

Dr Gilberto Ungson Lap Band to Ds

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 324 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views