losing locks

govtgirl
on 1/27/14 12:35 am - winnipeg, Canada

I have been researching the correlation between rapid weight loss and the loss of hair.  I understand it is very common and have learned that some clinics prescribe zinc.  My hair has been shedding in handfuls.  ( not a good look) I am hopeful the shedding cycle is short and the growing cycle picks up SOON.  Have any of you upped your ZINC intake to combat this problem?  Has the zinc helped?  If so, how much extra zinc are you taking? 

I have an appt on Wednesday at the clinic and will be discussing hair loss/zinc/etc with them.  I will share the outcome of the appt on Thursday.

manitobamike
on 1/27/14 5:07 am - Canada
VSG on 12/03/13

Regarding hair loss - not getting enough protein was mentioned by my Internalist.

newmelissa
on 1/27/14 5:29 am - Brandon, Canada

I read alot about hair loss only because I have long hair and scared to lose it  :(    Most information I got was lack of protien. You have to have a good intake for hair and nails to remain healthy.

govtgirl
on 1/27/14 6:16 am - winnipeg, Canada
I thought my protein level was ok but I will check with the clinic and thanx for responding.

goneforgood
on 1/27/14 9:03 am

How much protein are you taking I and when was your surgery! I am 8 1/2 months post op and at first the hair was falling out more rapidly but now it has slowed! 

govtgirl
on 1/27/14 10:18 am - winnipeg, Canada
Surgery was beginning of June.

newmelissa
on 1/27/14 9:30 am - Brandon, Canada

I wonder why only some people have issues with hair loss. I have 3 friends who all had the RNY and only one had issues. I'm so hoping I don't have any issues because my hair is thin enough.  I am only 3 weeks post op. If anyone who is reading these posts had hair loss.....how long after surgery before it started falling out?

goneforgood
on 1/27/14 10:04 am

For me it was at about 6 - 8 weeks post op. 

govtgirl
on 1/27/14 10:20 am - winnipeg, Canada
I am thinking genetics may play a role. I had surgery in June and hair loss probably started at around the 5 month mark.

its-killen-me
on 1/27/14 12:47 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

all advise about protein and zinc is good,  also take biotin (in vitamin section and vitamin b12.  check with nutritionist on amounts.  after my hair started coming back i lowered my biotin to 2 or 3 times a week.  It did help slow down the hair loss.  (hairbrush full after each brushing and drain full after every shower.) that was scary.  Boitin can promote hair growth everywhere.  I didn't have this problem but some people do have to shave their legs more.  etc...

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active