When they say no NSAIDS they mean it!

NewMe2.0
on 4/8/15 1:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Lately I have been absent from the boards due to some health reasons.  I had to have an emergency hysterectomy and bladder repair to treat a prolapse.  After the surgery my bladder went into major spasms which was very painful.  The normal course of treatment are nsaids, which we cannot have.  However, with this being said my surgeon decided it was in my best interest to have one round (24hrs) of nsaids to try and calm the spasming, and I agreed (the pain was unbearable).

Over the next couple of weeks I ended up in emerg 3x and was admitted twice.  Once for bladder and bowel spasming as well as passing a kidney stone.  Second time was they thought I had a blockage, as I couldn't keep anything down.  These were all at my local /non bariatric hospital.  2 days after being released from this hospital, and not being able to keep anything down (even a sip of water), I went to the hospital where I had my bariatric surgery.  The er doctor initially gave me a hard time for coming there as opposed to where I had my hysterectomy.  That was until he found out I had a major bladder infection and a repeat catscan showed inflammation around my pouch.  4 e.r. doctors later, and an endoscopy with the head of the bariatric dept showed multiple ulcers at the junction where my new pouch is attached to the lower intestine (?). 

The cause:  stress from the surgery, NSAIDS, and dehydration. (I was dehydrated 3 times ).  Lesson learned.  I truly didn't think one round of nsaids would hurt, as I was given them by my bariatric surgeon right after my rny.  Now I know.  (stress and dehydration played a factor as well, but the surgeon who did the endoscopy did say that the nsaids I was given would put a hole in a normal stomach). 

I am now on a 6 month course of meds with a follow up endoscopy at some point. 

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Patm
on 4/8/15 1:34 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Hope this is the last of your problems. Wishing you speedy recovery

NewMe2.0
on 4/8/15 10:27 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks Pat. 

Karen M.
on 4/8/15 2:17 am - Mississauga, Canada

SO glad to see you feeling up to posting! Sending you healing thoughts and lots of hugs! XOXO

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

NewMe2.0
on 4/8/15 10:28 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks again Karen.  I am so glad I took your advice and went to Guelph.  I am feeling a bit better every day.

Roma
on 4/8/15 2:30 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Wishing you a quick and painless recovery. Sounds like a rough time. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

NewMe2.0
on 4/8/15 10:29 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you so much.  It has been a rough go, but I think I am finally on the mend.   

new_me180
on 4/8/15 2:44 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

That's terrible, was just thinking of you yesterday. Hope you are on the road to recovery. Lots of xoxo.

NewMe2.0
on 4/8/15 10:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks Nia.  I got your pm and sent you one back.   :)

Zizzler
on 4/8/15 6:27 am

Thank you for posting this, it's a good reminder to follow the no NSAIDs rule.  Hope you feel better soon, my gosh you have been through a lot lately eh? Please keep us posted as to your status and I hope you feel better soon.  

Most Active
Recent Topics