Help From Others Post-Surgery?

MrsVonZipper
on 3/7/15 6:34 am

I finally have a surgery date! It's taken since July of LAST year, but my surgery is scheduled for March 27th! I'm wondering if those of you who have gone through RNY needed much assistance after returning home? If so, for how long? I realize each person's experience will be different, I would just like to get a sense of what to expect. Thank you so much!

Patty

ChillOutWayne
on 3/7/15 7:48 am
RNY on 03/02/15

I had my surgery on this past Monday and have moved myself around since that same day. I came home on Thursday and move freely now, just dealing with some tenderness around incisions and still battling some of the cramps/gas issues, those were by far the most difficult part of the process so far for me. I've had no nausea, dizziness or headaches and I can sip my fluids without issue, I've met my 64oz requirement with ease the last 2 days. I also haven't needed my liquid pain meds since I was in the hospital, and I really only used them there to relieve my gas pressure pain in abdomen and shoulders so I could sleep.  My mental situation is in a slightly different spot but physically/moving around is no issue at all. I took a 40min walk today enjoying the 50 degree weather. Good luck! 

MrsVonZipper
on 3/7/15 8:37 am

That's awesome! I'm so glad things are going well for you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Patty

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/7/15 8:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I slept for most of my recovery, but for the first day in particular I needed help rolling out of bed to get to the bathroom. I was so exhausted that if someone hadn't brought my meds, I wouldn't have remembered to take them! I was lucky that my mom stayed for about a week, though it was really the first couple of days that I needed help.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MrsVonZipper
on 3/7/15 9:00 am

This is what I'm wondering about. My husband is due to go out of town on business the day after I'm scheduled to come home (even though I know the discharge date could change). Thank you so much Julie!

Patty

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/7/15 9:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Do you have any friends or neighbors you could have "on call?" You'll probably be fine after the first day, but it might be good to have someone you can call in case you need a prescription picked up, something done around the house that you physically can't, that sort of thing. Just knowing that you have somebody on standby is super reassuring!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MrsVonZipper
on 3/7/15 9:08 am

Oh yes. (thankfully) I do. I'm just one of these kind of people who hate to ask for help! But if I need to, I will. Thanks again, Julie!

Patty

Navychic
on 3/7/15 9:22 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I was good the day after I left the hosp, and was off pain meds and did some very minor running around (picking up my car from hosp & a 10 min grocery stop), but I'd try to be prepared and have some protein options on hand that you've played with so you can get a smooth tasty mixture and some of your vitamins you'll be taking.  You'll probably be fine but I agree, hope for the best, plan for the worse, because folks on here go the full gamut to walking miles to being bedridden for a week.

Good luck with your surgery!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

MrsVonZipper
on 3/7/15 10:07 am

Wise advice...hope for the best, plan for the worst. Thank you so much!

Patty

Karen720
on 3/7/15 9:23 am

I had the surgery 5 yrs ago, I had it done on a Friday and went back to work on Monday.  I was tired, a little sore but not having any pain. I drove to the hospital and drove myself home.  I live alone and had no problem getting around.  good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 72 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 296 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views