CONSTIPATION

Montreal
on 3/9/15 2:22 am - Canada

I am 3 weeks post-surgery and i can count on 1 hand the nbr of times i had bowel movements. I was hospitalized 1 week after surgery due to severe constipation. I have increased my intake of high fiber foods. Any suggestions 

Navychic
on 3/9/15 2:34 am, edited 3/10/15 12:23 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I use miralax powder in a cup of water if I'm feeling at all bound up.  Tasteless and easy to get down, and makes the other much easier to "get down " as well.  It does not leave me with Diarrhea also, just easier bowel movements.

good luck

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Montreal
on 3/10/15 3:40 am - Canada

thanks so so much will give it a try 

Sarahakers11
on 3/9/15 3:27 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

almost 2 years out and if I dont have a scoop of benefiber and a scoop of miralax in a cup of coffee every morning...IM GONNA BE IN BAD SHAPE within 2 days!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

catalina07
on 3/9/15 6:07 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

sarahshakers, do you notice them in the coffee? I have been drinking a lot of tea so that sounds like something that might help me as well. Do you think they would change the flavor of the tea??

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

catalina07
on 3/9/15 6:09 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

oops i shouldve read further down. Other's said there is no flavor. sorry

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Montreal
on 3/10/15 3:41 am - Canada

thanks 

will try 

Sandie E.
on 3/9/15 3:45 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Hello,

I thought every 2 to 3 days was ok for me until recently when I was at my dr's office for bloating and pain...turns out it was severe constipation and bacterial imbalance.  In the beginning I was taking a stool softener every day and every 3rd day miralax if I hadn't gone.  When you are eating so little and limited on your intake you don't go as often.  I would try to shy away from stimulating meds if you can.  Now I take magnesium, proibiotic, and aloe vera gel and so far its going ok....I follow up in a couple more weeks and we will see but the pain and bloating when eating has decreased.  I had to stop stool softeners (docusate) because it was making me nauseous but she suggested trying colace instead.  There are some options out there, but from experience, don't let it get too far.  :)

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

karenp8
on 3/9/15 3:49 am - Brighton, IL

I do a dose of miralax every day in my first cup of coffee and a dose of colace every night before bed to keep me regular.

The Salty Hag
on 3/9/15 4:46 am
RNY on 05/20/13

A capful of miralax mixed with 8 oz of liquid-twice a day at least, and extra water in addition to your normal daily amount, but if you haven't already, call your surgeon and ask them what they recommend.

I had A LOT of impacted stool ( sorry for the TMI ) in my colon even though I was "regular". I actually had to take an entire 7 oz bottle of miralax as "quickly as I could manage" ( per my doc's instructions ) to get cleaned out. That was NOT fun!

Now that I'm back to normal, I add miralax to my morning beverage of choice, and have another dose at night.

My doc told me to lay off fiber until I was cleaned out, as fiber will actually bulk up stools and make it even more difficult. Again, this is what my surgeon recommended for me, so ask your surgeon.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views