Recent Posts

June F.
on 1/22/07 10:44 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Saskatchewan, Canada anybody already had WLS
I was thrilled to find your post as I am leaving for Missisauga next week to have Lapband surgery at the same clinic. It has really inspired me to see how much you have lost in the nine months but better yet to see the size difference. I have been overweight so long that I have no idea what size I will be at 200 lbs or 175. Your comment really helped me. I was told that there would be no funding available from the Province (typical) so my husband and I decided to forego purchasing a house at this time to invest instead in my health. Where do you go to have your adjustments done? Once again thank you for posting, your information has really helped calm my nerves.
Donna_w0uld_love_to
_be_thin

on 1/21/07 12:28 pm - Canada
Topic: HELP info needed
Hi i live in saskatoon and am looking at getting wls.I am 228lb lost almost 20lb in 8 weeks and have a consultation in may for a tummy tuck.I know i have lots more to lose but i am desperate and depressed.Does saskatchewan health cover the cost of wls?.My other question is if i were to pay for the wls myself would sk health pay for any other ps i may need in the future ie tummy tuck etc as there is no way i can afford both.How much does the surgery cost and how long is the waiting list if i pay for it myself.Also i cant find much info on it so what would be my first step. Thank you Donna
MLM
on 1/10/07 9:20 am - Quebec City, Canada
Topic: RE: Western Canada WLS forum
(no longer 'in service', due to lack of interest)
MLM
on 1/10/07 9:18 am - Quebec City, Canada
Hi guys, I got the lapband a little over 9 months ago, and so far I've lost 96lbs. I'm down to 188 from 284... a size 24/26 to a size 14/16. I'm still losing, and my ultimate goal is to lose half of my weight, which would make me 142. I'm getting there! I was banded by Dr. Cobourn in Missisauga, www.lapband.ca ... while living in SK. I had to pay for it... $15,000. It's now $16,000. I've never regretted getting it done, and would recommend it to anyone. You have to know that it's not easy... you do have to work at it. I can eat bad things that are not condusive to weightloss, but I now chose not to. Could I have done this before? Obviously not. I can eat pretty much whatever I want, just much, much less than ever before. Good luck to all of you.
June F.
on 1/10/07 9:06 am - Canada
I am leaving for Toronto on January 29 to have my Lapband surgery at the same clinic. How have you done since the surgery? Is it as they described?
~~~Kaye~~~ G.
on 1/10/07 5:18 am - Regina, Canada
Hi Kim, I'm happy that you have found this web site. It was extrememly helpful when I was searching for information on which surgery would be the best for me. I didn't want to run the risk of any surgery failing, having complications, or re-gaining my weight back over time, or even having to have a revision done some time later. I wanted to find a surgeon with a lot of experience, no mortality rate, and someone with a sincere desire to help obese patients. I wanted to be able to take my arthrotec for my arthritis if I needed to. I didn't want to have to live with vomitting or be in the bathroon constantly. I wanted to live as close to normal of life as I could and be able to eat almost anything in moderation. So having said, that the surgery that was right for me was the bileopancreatic duodenal switch, and I went to Brazil for Dr. Marchesini to give me the medical intervention that I knew that I need if I wanted to have a good quality of life. That decision has been the one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Dr. Marchesini took such good care of me while I was there and continues to follow my lab reports. He is only just a phone call/email distance away. Closer than my doctor in my own home town!!!! Sasketchewan's health care sucks!!! Yes, I did have to pay out of pocket because SK health denied my request for any out of country expenses. For my husband and I to go we spent about $20.000. Feel free to email me anytime or I would be happy to give you my phone number if you would like. Are you living in SK? Take care, Kaye
lemonlulu
on 1/8/07 11:38 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: Western Canada WLS forum
I live in Saskatoon and would love to talk to u. I went to the site but had no idea what to do when I got there. Kim
lemonlulu
on 1/8/07 11:33 pm - Canada
I am looking for guidance and information on weight loss surgery. Seems like we would have to pay out of pocket. I was interested in lap banding. Wondering what others picked and why?? Kim
mct1968
on 10/12/06 7:34 am - Regina, Canada
Hi there; Kay - about your surgery and it being referred to out of country - can you let me know how Sask health responds to your doctors submission into that. Let me know the outcome please - please email me @ [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]. btw - good luck to you kay ! Marcy
thinwannabee
on 9/3/06 10:27 pm - Regina, Canada
Topic: Saskatchewan Bariatric Surgery Support Group - Regina meetings!
Hello all, My name is Tess Boehm. President of the Saskatchewan Bariatric Surgery Support Group. I saw by reading posts some names I knew, some new ones I didn't. We have a support group based right here in Regina that offers regular support and help with surgery related questions. We offer a free online newsletter, and our website which is under construction right now. Our wellness program is sponsoring the next meeting on September 17th as we have a dietician coming out to see us. We meet once a month, on the 3rd Sunday. We also meet every Thursday night from 830 pm - 930pm for aquafit. It's PRIVATE pool time, just us so it's a very comfortable setting. For more info, email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you. Thanks, Tess.
Most Active