OT; Way OT and morbid

George T.
on 4/30/09 8:28 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
I am sorry I am posting this here, but I know you all are knowledgeable.  I would post on a different discussion board, but this is the only one I have access to at work.  And this subject has been on my mind.

When someone passes away, and the family does not have the six or eight grand for a funeral, what does one do?  Won't the state assist in something very minimal?  Where do they bury you if you can't afford a plot?  How do you qualify for it?

(This is not for me, but for a non-relative to me.  Don't worry, I will be around to bug you for a while).

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

Karen The Papaya
Queen

on 4/30/09 8:49 pm - somewhere

If they will consider cremation, when my FIL died the total cost was $1300 to $1500....

If that's not an option, then maybe someone knows a mortician or funeral home they could ask for you..... Since you can pre-arrange a funeral maybe you can pre-arrange for this too..... 

Life is tough, but my God is TOUGHER
"There is more to life than increasing its speed.? Gandhi
The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot  Do....

377/331/198/175 Highest/WLS/Current/Goal

George T.
on 4/30/09 8:52 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
The individual passing is very much against cremation.  The others concerned are talking about what to do.  One says cremate any way.  The others want to do what she would like, but don't have the money to make sure that happens. 

I am sorry to say, but I would go ahead and do the cremation at that point.  But it is a hard decision.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

Liz_G_Tx
on 4/30/09 8:55 pm
i hate to be harsh, but if the individual passing is against cremation, perhaps they should have made other arrangements long before now concerning this.

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

Liz_G_Tx
on 4/30/09 8:53 pm
couple options:
1. the family can make payments to the funeral home if they still want a traditional funeral
2.  google funerals for destitute
3.  County Burials. For families who are truly destitute, the county will do burials through their indigent burial services.  The burial is usually done in a grave space in a county run cemetery without embalming and a minimum casket.  Be very careful with this program.  Not everyone loves their departed loved ones especially if Uncle Jim was a drunk and a derelict.  Often the family says, "Let the County bury the old goat.  He is finally gone."  He may be gone, but the County will hold the body to find out if you have the resources to take care of funeral arrangements for "the old goat".  Under Texas Law, it is my understanding, that a family has the responsibility to take care of their dead whether they like it or not.  If you play games with the county, in the long run, you will spend a lot more money than if you had negotiated a funeral.  County burials are for the indigent and the truly needy, and they mean truly needy.  

so basically google destitute funerals texas and you will find all the info you need. I would just call the county in which the person resides, they will have all the info the family needs.

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

George T.
on 4/30/09 8:55 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

Thanks for the info.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

Liz_G_Tx
on 4/30/09 8:57 pm
sure, there is lots of into out there and i have worked for several non profit organizations that dealt wiht healthcare etc so not exactly a new subject for me.
Definately have them contact the county office and they can direct them accordingly

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/30/09 10:40 pm - Burleson, TX
GEORGE-you didn't mention where the person lives, but I can tell you--in Tarrant County the funeral homes are on a "rotation", as to who takes the next indgent person. If the family cam HELP in some way, then they can have some "say so" in what happens....otherwise...well...I've been to several "indigent services", and you'd never know the difference-other than the lack of flowers,and a flashy casket maybe-the Tarrant county funeral directors have always treated their clients with the utmost respect and DIGNITY-and you know how I am about dignity and integrity when it comes to death and dying.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/09 10:50 pm, edited 4/30/09 10:52 pm - DFW area, TX
brenda F.
on 5/1/09 12:58 am - whitney, TX
Paul ,how do you go about seeing in to this ? Brenda
was 400+ june 15th,06,..now 145-150 as of may15th,09 ... wow!!!what a ride .   
Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 43 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 117 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 427 views