just a bit of reassurance is what i need please help if youve already been sleeved

Mr-Smith
on 10/21/11 12:56 am - Hillsdale, MI
The worst pain for me was I had to have a cathieter. After that was out, going number one was like ******g shards of glass.  If it wasn't for that pain, I would probably of only had the pain killer offered at night to help me sleep.  I went home the next day after surgery and and took the pain meds at night for two nights then quit.  The pain wasn't bad at all.  My nose surgery was way worse.

susanraywilliams
on 10/21/11 1:13 am
A few days of discomfort mostly from gas and the regular pain you receive on your left side. My worst part was getting over being nauseated after surgery. They gave me meds to get that under control. Afterwards, you just sip and walk, sip and walk. Went home the next day. It was a 2 hr drive, but it wasn't bad.
I had lortab elixir for pain med. It lasted me a week. I took 1/2 doses. The pain (soreness) reminds one of having a hard core ab workout. I hear that the RNY is more painful but hey, they're re-routing! The pain, you can probably handle. I haven't heard of anyone who hasn't. Good luck and best wishes!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 1:27 am
Similar to rest of the stories. Pain the worst the first two days, was home on day 3. Had an extra day because I couldn't get enough liquids down.

Was on stronger pain meds first 5 days then went to tylenol during day, stronger at night for a couple more days then I was off pain meds entirely about a week post. Up and feeling great. Walked a lot!
luvliz80
on 10/21/11 2:04 am - CA
This is my story! From the moment I woke up I was in horrible pain. The first day I slept and kept the meds pumping into my I V! I soon after needed to get them injected by the nurse every 3 hours but they only lasted 1 hour so Id have to be in pain for 2 hours until this wonderful nurse gave my liguid vicodine! It was so hard to swallow but it helped. To me it was very painful the nausea was horrible the gas was never ending and the life change is hard! Having a pillow on my tummy helped me with the pain. Remeber this is my story. I wish you a total different one...make sure you travel when your well enough! The car ride home for me was on 30 min but wasnt easy. If you have any questions feel free to inbox me. Good luck! GOD bless you.
fypcdqt
on 10/21/11 2:08 am - Cumming, GA
My pain was not bad at all.  I vaguely remember the post-op/recovery room, feeling bad pain but a nurse came and the next thing I remember is being wheeled into my room with my family.  By then I was feeling good.

I did know going into surgery that morphine does nothing for me.  Literally nothing but make me itch.  I had fallen a month before my surgery and they thought I had broken my elbow.  They gave me morphine and I was screaming in pain until they gave me Dilaudid.  I took this information with  me to my pre-op appointments and insisted they skip the morphine and go straight to Dilaudid for me. I told my doctors, my nurse, my anesthesiologist, my family, my best friend, every one I saw for admissions. Ha!  But it worked wonders. 

My nurse also brought me a hot pack to put on my biggest incision, and amazingly that helped!  She explained that because he had to cut through muscle to remove the stomach, it would be the most painful part to heal, and the heat helped the muscle relax. 

The only thing that kept me in the hospital longer than one night was the nausea they couldn't get under control.  Finally the nurse looked at my doctor's orders, got him on the phone and told him in no uncertain terms that he would be changing my nausea medicine.  As soon as they gave me something different, I felt worlds better.

I was really tired when I went home, but once the nausea was gone, I think I would have been okay for a plane ride.

How long after surgery is your travel back home?

Best of luck!  Having my family support me through every step has been invaluable!  I could not have done it without them.

Amy

Pat H.
on 10/21/11 2:36 am
I don't like being in pain and can honestly say my surgery was the easiest I have ever had. Used the pain pump in the hospital to stay ahead of any pain. Never filled the pain and nausea prescription when I got home. Used liquid tylenol 2 or 3 times and a heating pad over any sore incisions. No gas pains either. As everyone says, each of us has a different experience. Hope yours is uneventful too!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/21/11 2:39 am
This may not be what you want to hear, but you asked. I had my surgery on Monday. The pain was pretty intense Monday night. By Tuesday I felt good and thought for sure I'd be going home as scheduled on Wednesday. However, as Tuesday progressed I became increasingly naseous and began vomitting. I continued vomitting into Wednesday. The pain that goes along with vomitting post abdominal surgery is fierce. Morphine was my savior. Yesterday was a much better day. I walked a lot but was still naseous. Today is Friday and I feel great. With that being said I am still taking pain Meds. My roommate here in the hospital had Rny and we have a lot more similarities as far as recovery goes. The pain is tolerable with Meds, but gas pain will bring you to tears. I am very driven to get home today and she is not so she is taking it slowly. I however have a job on the line and she has six kids at home...lol. so yes there is pain. To think there isn't would be nieve. I wish you the best of luck. I hope I don't have too many typos as I'm in my hospital bed typing from my phone.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 2:57 am
I was one of the lucky ones , or my tolerance for pain/ discomfort is high. Day of surgery got demerol though my IV every 4 hrs, the day after surgery tok liquid vicodin once, vomited it up and never took anythng again. Was ot 100 percent comfortable, but I didn't have pain. No nausea either. This has to be the easiest surgery I've every had recovery wise.
Hollyhock
on 10/21/11 5:18 am - VA
Everyone is different, and some have pain. The potential for pain isn't a good reason to avoid or oppose the surgery. Being fat and sick is painful, too. My two cents are to do what you know is right for you and not worry too much about what everyone else thinks. When you're thinner and more healthy, you'll know you did the right thing, pain or not. And your family might come around to agree with you, or not, or maybe they'll criticize some other decision you make. It's your life to live -- you can't spend your energy convincing everyone else you're doing it right.
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
apple55
on 10/21/11 8:32 am
Out of the hospital on yesterday had surgery on the eighteenth, took pain meds maybe once per day, and walked a mile with my two sons today.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views