just a bit of reassurance is what i need please help if youve already been sleeved

samslim
on 10/21/11 12:07 am
it took FOREVER to make my family comfortable with this sugery that i am yet to have. my sister had gastric bypass two days ago and is in quite a bit of pain still. ive tried to explain that the surgries are different but no one is listening now. ive told them that from almost every post ive read that there is not a lot of pain with ths procedure, but they are going off my sisters experience. i have to fly out of state to have mine done and they dont feel as if i will be in any condition to get on a plane to return home. i really need them back on board for my surgery as there support means the world to me. please share your pain experiences with sleeving with us so maybe i can show them this post and get back on track i know everyone is different but i have not heard much about anyone being in agonizing pain uuurggg the set backs.....  
Faith is taking the first step even when you dont see the whole staircase... MLK jr.
wls2011
on 10/21/11 12:13 am - Ballston Lake, NY
I did have pain for the first 5 days that required the pain medication, but it was not unbearable pain...and I was able to walk the halls of the hospital within a few hours of waking up from surgery. The pain was well managed with the medication, the only time it really hurt significantly was getting into and out of the bed.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

vacationlover
on 10/21/11 12:20 am, edited 10/21/11 12:27 am
I had my surgery on Friday morning.  I was in quite a bit of pain until Monday (in no condition to fly).  I started feeling better that Tuesday.  I could have flown on Tuesday.  Note, I was up and walking starting on Friday, but I was in pain.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

bxbeba
on 10/21/11 12:21 am - NY
I had my surgery 19 months ago and really did not have much pain at all.  My surgery finished later in the day so I wasn't able to get up that night but the next day I did walk the halls about 3 times per day (to get the gases moving).  Not saying that I wasn't uncomfortable did have a morphine IV drip if needed which I did use more so that I could sleep thanks to the noise in the hospital.  Went home after two nights and was fine.  As long as there are no complications you should do well. 

denebbers
on 10/21/11 12:23 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
I flew back home from mexico 2 days after my surgery. It was an 4 1/2 hour flight. I did not have any major pain, and slept the whole way home LOL. You will be lacking so much sleep from the hospital stay, that you won't even be bothered with the flight!

Best of luck,

dec721
on 10/21/11 12:26 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I hope my experience will be helpful.  I flew to Mexico for my procedure and had no difficulties at all.

When I woke up from surgery, I had quite a bit of discomfort under my sternum.  Dr. Alvarez was right there and said he had repaired "an enormous hiatal hernia" while he was in there, and that was what was causing the pain.  The pain meds while I was in his hospital reduced the discomfort steadily.  I was up walking the hallway within a very short period of time ... and I walked and walked and walked, just a few minutes at a time, about every 30 minutes.  I was so bored, and that was all there was to do!  There was only mild discomfort, no real pain.  And the discomfort was completely gone in three days.

Once I was cleared to have sips of liquid, I started sipping almost constantly.  Sip sip sip ... and walk walk walk! 

I flew home a couple of days later, had no difficulty at all walking the airports and had no discomfort on the plane.  You should do just fine.  The rest of us did :-)

Best wishes!
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Paige V.
on 10/21/11 12:29 am - Gainesville, FL
I had pain (maybe a 4 out of 10)  but really the nausea got to me. I **could** have flown on a plane if I had to, but I am thankful I didn't because I was really puny for a week.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

mlssadwn
on 10/21/11 12:30 am, edited 10/21/11 12:31 am - Red Bluff, CA
Hey there I had surgery on Wed and was home on Friday I was released late and had a three hour drive home so NO meds I slept the whole time in the back seat (lying down) except when I got out to walk every 45min-1hr. Once I got home I went right to bed, still no meds, and slept in my own bed on my side. I hear this is a little difficult to do for some but I was fine. About ten the next day (12hrs later) I got my meds from the Dr and felt great! I took the lowest dose, 15mL, every 4-5 hrs and was walking around and alert for my three kids. If you walk and take your pain meds, its okay I never had surgery before but I thought my experience was great! Don't stress about the pain, It isn't the worst part anyways (that first month on liquids and mushies is way worse LOL)
 Height 5'8" Highest Weight - 245 Surgery Weight - 220 Goal Weight - 150-160 Current Weight - 155 

anninva
on 10/21/11 12:40 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
pretty much with everyone else.  took pain meds for a couple of days and was fine.  protein made me sick, so that's what i really remember.  maybe if you can let your family know about experiences we've had, especially things like flying back from Mexico.

good luck!!!!  ((((((hugs)))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Rekeca
on 10/21/11 12:51 am - NC

I didn't have any pain. I just felt like my stomach was really being stretched to the limit, probably from the swelling and I felt uncomfortable but not really any pain. I used the pain pump whenever I was ready to go to sleep. I got a prescription for my pain, I picked it up from the pharmacy but never used it. I think everybody is different some people  have pain and others have very little to none.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views