Does one's Journey really ever end?

nsblue
on 2/25/12 10:13 pm, edited 2/25/12 10:17 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

When I see people post pics of their successes and their accomplishments it is so wonderful to see. Like an ending to a long task that is very hard.. .but in getting close to my goal now myself, I wonder if the "hard" part is really over..... surely maintaining a weight, never to go back as before will be just as much a struggle to stay there.... so really...is the journey really ever over?

Guess it's what you call life and living.... being ever mindful of a situation that can slip into that danger zone if no****ched.... and it is sooo easy to slip back into old patterns if not careful. One can spiral out of control easily enough and get caught up in the emotional eating....having a person in your life to grab hold of you and remind you to get back on track is so important... we all need that helping hand to keep us on track, for which i am ever thankful of in my life to have. Accountability is so important.... we can hide so well, but being accountable to friends.... keeps us honest... but those friends who will remain true and be the one over our shoulder... reminding us are few and are such a blessing. A safety net much needed.

Having been 600 pounds 2 1/2 years ago.. is alot to get one's head wrapped around, especially now fitting into clothes in a "normal" store lol. The body may have "lost" weight, but the mind still thinks "big" and takes time to assimulate. Many things to get "use to" even friends who may treat you differently, heck even society treats you differently.... so many things to get use to. People look at me now, they don't see the scars below, whether invisible or visible they are there.... if they seen them would they act differently? But I guess that is a cross section of life... there will be always those that judge... somethings you never escape.... so the struggles continue in life.... there is no ending... just a continuing journey IMO.

In less than a month, on March 20th I will finally have my hernia repair. A reminder of neglecting my health finally repaired (my gut is fully outside my abdominal wall) Life will change for me again that day. Doc says I could lose 20-50lbs in the skin removal alone for the repair. Having not to wear clothes to camophlage a large hernia will definitely be different.... so watch out world lol.

For those of you struggling along your journey... you are not alone.... keep working at yourself n your surgeon's plans... be proud of your accomplishments. It's a long hard one but it's so rewarding. Health especially. Having been on blood pressure meds and 170 units of insulin a day and now on nothing feels so good. Not to mention the energy I feel to do things I never did before... everything is so worth it. Keep to your plan, you will accomplish what you've set out to do.

So here's a few befores... and presents lol... for my "afters" is a continuing saga in this journey of mine....

BEFORE:

6283114_7149

PICTURE AFTER SEEING SURGEON FEB25TH 2011 AT 430lbs:by dec was 238lbs before vsg surgery.

WALKING ... taken by chronicle herald story

StrongBean
on 2/25/12 10:30 pm
Thank you so much for sharing.  I am waiting for a surgery date and just recently decided to go ahead with the surgery.  You are so right in that it will continue to be a life long journey along with all the success celebrations and dips.  I wasn't immediately prepared to go ahead, but decided to go through hoops and until i was sure that i could go through the final hoop.  I am so glad that i did decide to continue with the process even though I as sure i could decide at the time that i would actually go through with this surgery.
I am grateful for this forum and for all the amazing people who share their experiences, such as you, to help people like me.  It is a courageous journey and i am looking forward to sharing my journey as well.  Good luck with your next surgery and all the best to you and your awesome life :)
Strong Bean :)
nsblue
on 2/25/12 10:36 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
StrongBean all the best in your ucoming surgery and continued journey. The VSG definitely a great tool of restriction. Keep focused n you will proceed nicely ;)

Ms. Poker Face
on 2/25/12 10:31 pm
I think you framed it up nicely and hit the nail on the head.  Like many others, I've lost the weight before, but maintaining that loss is something that's been elusive to me.  I feel like the loss part is a journey and then maintenance begins an entirely new journey.  I'll be able to use a tool I didn't have before for the maintaining part.  It's exciting to think about!  But, before i get ahead of myself, one step at a time.

You have a very inspirational story!  Thanks for sharing your transformation in pictures.  I'm very happy for you, not only having lost so much weight, but to take charge of your health and be able to get the hernia treatment you need.

Congrats!  Keep rockin' it!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

nsblue
on 2/25/12 10:44 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
thank you silly_sweet
Having the VSG is wonderful to have. It is however not a saviour of all weight issues... for we battle with ourselves n old habits that can easy put that weight back on very easily..even with the restriction we now have.
when the surgeon said to me 1/2 hr walking or exercise a day for the rest of your life is a must.... IT IS... and being in maintenance cannot get me out of that habit irregardless what one tells themselves in balancing diet and exercise.

Ms. Poker Face
on 2/25/12 10:47 pm
Completely agree.  I'll battle the weight demons for the rest of my life.  But I'm prepared to fight!  And we're worth it!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

carmel_253
on 2/25/12 10:38 pm - NY
   WOW......U R AMAZING!  You look great and ur hard work is paying off.   What excersie do u do?  I saw the picture of u walking what else do u do?  R there ever days where u just don't want to excersise?  How do u motivate urself?  I am still trying to get myself motivate to excerse.  Any advise would be great! 

Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting.  So....get on your way! - Dr. Seuss            
month 1-14  month 2 - 12
nsblue
on 2/25/12 10:48 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Before surgery I was walking excessively...12 km a day. i must say  that helped me recoup from surgery so much and was able to get back into walkin within a week and was dancing after 2 weeks. I walk, dance, do steps, squatts,  treadmill some days...exercise bike..free weights, swim. After recovery from my hernia i plan to get more into exercises to build my core...right now i am restricted from some exercises.... i hope one day to do a boot camp lol

moonglo82
on 2/25/12 10:43 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Wow! Those pics are so inspirational!

Thanks so much for sharing, and for the reminder that getting to goal is significant, but not the end of the road.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Crabadams72
on 2/25/12 10:50 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Thank you for sharing. Your progress is absolutely amazing! You look wonderful.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views