How to figure out how big my new stomach is?

Keith L.
on 10/10/12 7:07 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I am just shy of 2 weeks post op and I am having a hard time figuring out when I am full. Sometimes I know like if I drink a thick soup. But other times not so much. I haven't thrown up yet, so I haven't found it that way. It seems when drink water I can drink 6+ oz, but I am afraid to try any more because I don't want to stretch and/or vomit. I keep having these nightmares that I didn't actually get the surgery, they just put a couple cuts on my stomach, took my money, and sent me home. I was under the impression my new stomach would be around 3 to 4 oz.

Any thoughts?

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

slimpickins5280
on 10/10/12 7:19 am - CO
liquid in - liquid out. You will not be able to feel restriction until you are on a regular diet.

Why in the hell would you want to "test" a two-week old tummy?

Nerves to your stomach have been cut. There is swelling.

Be nice to your new tummy and don't "test" it.

Think of it as a new engine. 420 hp V8. Would you even consider taking it on the freeway and putting it on cruise control? (Please tell me that your answer is no)

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Keith L.
on 10/10/12 7:26 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I wouldn't call it a test as much as worrying that I go too far. I still forget sometimes and take a big gulp of water and or mindlessly drink. I just want to be sure not to stretch.

And to answer your engine question, no I would not put it on cruise control, but I would press the gas pedel to see what she sounded like.

moonglo82
on 10/10/12 7:37 am
VSG on 03/29/12
With liquids, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to stretch your sleeve.  They just don't sit in our tummies long enough to do that kind of damage.  Having said that, what guidelines did your dr give you for how much to take in at a time?  You need to get used to relying on premeasured amounts to know when to stop now so that when your stomach is fully healed and has more room, you don't accidentally overeat and cause discomfort and slower weight loss. 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Keith L.
on 10/10/12 7:55 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Post op guidelines were very general. Clear Liquids for 1 week, full liquids for 2 weeks, then soft food, then proceed at your own pace. A couple of other rules, but nothing on amounts. Oh well, got another week before I can put any real food down, although the strained clam chowder I ate last night let me know when I was full. Very much looking forward to being able to chew soon.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

moonglo82
on 10/10/12 8:02 am
VSG on 03/29/12
The strained clam chowder was undoubtedly thicker than some of the other liquids you're taking in right now, so it will sit heavier. 

I don't recall having any set amounts for meals while I was on liquids either, but it seems like one sf jello pudding cup was about all I could handle at a time while on full liquids... and when I first started protein drinks, it would take me 2 1/2 hours to get through an 11 oz shake. 

I know what you mean about looking forward to being able to chew... you'll be there before you know it!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

karynh
on 10/10/12 8:52 am - Tampico, IL
VSG on 09/26/12
 You shouldn't be eating more than a half cup of soup.  You need to measure your food and don't eat until you feel full. 

hollirrose
on 10/10/12 8:55 am
VSG on 04/21/12
My doctor told me not to gulp down water but I couldnt break/strech my sleeve. I had no problems or discomfort drinking water or shakes. I never understood all the people who were posting they could only drink an oz of water every hour. We are the lucky ones! That being said I never felt full on liquids or mushy foods really. I kinda thought the surgery was going to be a failure...if the doctor really did anything at all. *_* I also didnt understand the peeps on here that posted they could on eat a spoonfull of food and were stuffed. Once I finally got to the "real" food there was a big change. I finally felt restriction. At 5 1/2 months I eat about 1 1/2 to 2 oz of protein and I am full. Thats a meal! Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing great.
lisa2job
on 10/10/12 9:38 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
Your new tummy wont feel restiriciton on liquids very much.  and they kinda go right through you.   any item alittle more solid , like soup , or pudding i could feel more restriciton with  but liquids I could drink.   Note that once you start with soft food you will really feel it.  I started with a tablespoon of food and worked my way up .....   dont over do it or you will feel it and be sorry......

Note the more dence the protien is the more restirction you have.    I am 5 weeks out and can eat about maybe 2 oz of  dence protien  (  almost the size of 1 egg ) in a sitting,  the  protien I weigh adn dont try to consume more than 2 oz at a time,   other things I measure like oatmeal, chili ect...  ... I have never eaten more than 1/2 cup of anything at any given time.   usally I eat somewhere imbetween 1/4 cup and 1/2 c   with the 1/4 c being the usual amount but it really really really depends on the item...  

Remember that everyone is different and you will figure out what works for you as you go.  take it slow

Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/12 9:41 am
I get it! I felt very much the same way.....Actually, I was sort of disappointed when I didn't feel overly full, ready to puke my guts out after having two or three sips or bites of something during full liquids and purees. I was thinking, "Damn, my sleeve is huge! What am I going to do now????" Well, luckily, someone else posted the same thing on here and many of the vets gave the same answers you've already gotten.

I could pretty much drink anything over 30 minutes to an hour and never feel full. Then once on purees I could eat my 1/4 cup meals in 15 or 20 minutes with no problem either. Then once I got to softs I tried eating a scrambled egg. HA! Could eat about 1/3 of an egg and I WAS DONE! I MEAN DONE! So friggin full I knew it would be puke city if I didn't stop. Seriously, 1/3 of an egg and I was full. Talk about a happy dance!

You will feel full eventually. It may not ever be the same full you used to feel, but you'll know it when you feel it.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 199 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views