Having a tough time with 2 things

Keith L.
on 10/29/12 3:32 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am having trouble with two things. First is knowing when to stop eating. If am not in control of the cooking/production of my meal (which I am most of the time), I find that I am having a hard time knowing when to stop and then I suddenly get that "I ate too much" pain. Fortunately so far it hasn't been anything extreme, but I feel like i am getting one or two more bites than I should.

The other thing I am really struggling with is not drinking after I eat. I am almost panicked that I have to wash down what I just ate and rinse my mouth out.

Anyone have any suggestions. I know on the eating weighing and measuring your food, but that isn't always practical and I am talking primarily about the times it is not practical.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Italian-Princess
on 10/29/12 4:13 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Keith,

It sure is hard to determine when to stop when you haven't been able to weigh or measure your food.  The only that that comes to mind is to eat about half of your meal, then REALLY SLOW down and wait for any signal your sleeve might provide.  Myrtle gives me a hiccup or two when she's had enough.  I never argue with her and stop immediately.  Have you noticed getting hiccups or sneezes or a runny nose when you're eating?  Those a typical signs that you're done.  If you don't get any signals, then I'd eat only about 3/4 of the meal to be on the safe side of not getting that icky feeling.  Just my 2 cents on that.......

As for drinking after a meal, I don't know what you surgeon/nutritionist told you, but I was told no drinking for 30 minutes after I eat.  It's a little difficult, and a lot of times, I make it only for about 20 minutes.  However, if what I've eaten is very liquid -- such as soup, I don't see a lot of difference between "eating" the broth and drinking some water soon after the meal.  And I do take an occasional TINY sip of water if I'm having something like my chili -- it's HOT and I NEED to take a sip or I think I'd burn up LOL

Hope you get some better answers than mine, but I thought I'd share what I do.

Ree

chanteuse1
on 10/29/12 5:33 am - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

Is it possible you are simply eating faster when you are 'not in control' of meal production?  Like maybe when you eat out?  I too, have a struggle just SLOWING DOWN.

As to the drinking, would it maybe help to brush your teeth as soon as practical following a meal?  That always helps me remember to STOP, but I know it's not always practical when you're out and about.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/29/12 5:38 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I hear you...practice weighing and measuring different foods at home to get the feeling of correct quantities that you can then apply when you are unable to weigh and measure when you are out. Link your food volume to familiar images like the palm of your hand or a deck of cards or your favourite right sized dish from home or a golf ball, a tennis ball, a baseball, a softball...etc. that might help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Shagdoll
on 10/29/12 5:44 am

Hey Keith,

I think Ree offers some great advice.  I know measuring food can be a pain in the rear but it is one sure way to help you control your portions and I am speaking from my own experience.  I tend to try to eyeball a serving and just for sh**s & giggles, I will measure it and it's always more than I thought.  But like Ree said, try to slow down after you're 1/2 done.  Try to figure out if you feel satisfied.  It's not always easy but practice will help.

I would say try chewing some gum after you eat but some doctor's don't approve of that, plus you are still pretty early out so I don't want to recommend that.  Maybe a sugar free mint; I know that helps me.

I still think the not drinking while eating sucks but I love my sleeve so I just deal with it.  ;-)

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 284 views