Hurricane Sandy and triggers!!

TaylorH7682
on 10/30/12 9:21 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12
Hi all! So as of this past Monday I am 3 weeks post op. Feeling great. Down 24.3 lbs.

2 nights ago Jersey wa**** by hurricane Sandy. Our beautiful jersey shore has been destroyed. I know many people without homes or who can't yet return to their homes. And there have been a few people who have lost their lives to this superstorm. It has been truly devestating. It makes me feel so blessed that my home remains in tact and my family and friends are all safe. It also makes me feel a bit guilty for posting this as I know my troubles are few. But still. I have been without power for going on 3 days now. I'm staying with family who have a generator but I am bored out of my mind. Being bored is a huge trigger for me. The last 3 days I have eaten potato chips. Pretzels. Halloween candy. Ice cream. And etc. all crap! And I'm feeling so bad about myself. I just want to go home to my safe place. Where I don't have any junk food. And get back on track. I'm just really feeling down right now.

Crunchy As Can Be
on 10/30/12 10:48 pm - NY

Taylor-- I'm sorry you're going through all of this and that your area, friends and family are affected by the hurricane. I don't have much of a suggestion as being out of your "safe place" can be really hard-- what I can suggest is something I've done at home when the craving**** and I needed to do *something* to avoid eating/overeating when I shouldn't have-- I went for a short walk to "reset" my thinking (like 20-30 minutes, just in the neighborhood, even in bad weather!), and then stuck here on the Obesity Help website reading everything I could to get me back in the right mindset and out of the kitchen. Also, I'll often take glass of water and just drink and drink and drink. When I'm feeling waterlogged I'm much less likely to snack on junk... not sure if it will work with you?

Good luck and stay safe!

~~Emily~~

Keith L.
on 10/30/12 11:01 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Oh no! Here's what I do when I am tempted by foods I know I should not eat. I think about the struggle to get to the surgery, the pain during the surgery and the fact that I had to remove my stomach to stop myself from eating myself to death. Then I don't want any of the foods that got me to where I am. Think about the effort you put in to get where you are right now. The agonizing over the decision to have surgery. The Pre-op diet. The Gas Pains from surgery. The clear liquid week, the full liquid week(s). The soft/pureed stage. The pain when you eat too much. Do you really want to do that again?

Throw all that stuff away if you can't talk yourself out of it. Get on here when you get bored and answer the newbie questions. Read the vets posts. Look at the people who have lost 100-200lbs. Maybe you should consider finding a new hobby or something too.

I hope you find a way to overcome this. You have come so far and put so much effort into this to throw it all away now.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

TaylorH7682
on 10/30/12 11:09 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12
I really just need to get out of here and get home. Not only am I bored here but I'm staying in my childhood home which in and of itself triggers a lot of feelings in me. I try to spend as little time here as possible because the second I walk through the front door my self worth is questioned, I am judged, and I am picked on. It's really hard. I think I'm gonna head home today. I'd be better off sitting in the dark by myself then staying here with all this negativity and **** food.

Keith L.
on 10/30/12 11:25 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think you might be missing a good opportunity to overcome some emotional issues here. You are in charge of you. You are an adult and you make decisions for you regardless of what anyone else things. I know what you mean about the triggers. When I first visited my mother at 1 week post op, she offered me diet coke, cookies, bread. She's a food pusher. You just have to say "Thank you but I cannot have that now".

It sounds like perhaps some of your weight problems stem from childhood experiences and tramas. I think you should face your demons. You don't necessarily need to discuss the issues as they are your issues, you own them. But you can make a declaration and take a stance on how things are going to be from now on. You decide how people treat you and you speak up when they do not treat in you in a way that fits your plan. You decide what you put in your mouth. You decide what to do when you are bored. You decide where you go or don't go. And you decide how your experience when you go home should be. You deserve respect but sometimes you need to ask for it too.

Judged on what? The great decision you made to have this surgery? The decision you made to become a healthy person? Picked on for losing weight? You are a beautiful woman and you should feel confident about yourself. Ignore the judgment and ridicule. You are only worth what you feel like you are worth, it does not matter what anyone else says. Since you get to decide what you are worth, make it worth a lot.

Be strong!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

nanarama
on 10/30/12 11:29 pm - PA
VSG on 07/09/12

Here's the thing -- I'm in Philly suburbs and we got hit HARD by the storm.  So I get that part.  I was scared out of my mind on Monday night with the wind.  And I also get the family thing.  I deal with that at some levels too.   But I cannot sit here and tell you oh, it's okay, you'll get through it.

You are three weeks out from major surgery to have most of your stomach removed.  Frankly, I don't even know how you ate what you said you ate, even if it was just a bite here or a bite there.  At three weeks out, I was still on full liquids moving into pureed foods.  You are putting yourself in major jeopardy here for infection, leak, death.  Seriously.  Eating food, period, right now is just not an option. 

The other thing is this is a lifelong process now.  There will ALWAYS be junk food and temptations and storms, etc.  Right now is when you have to start to figure out how to handle it.  If not, you're going to set yourself up for serious disappointment. 

I'm trying to say this kindly bur firmly.  If you're struggling like this at this early stage, you might want to talk to someone on your medical team to help figure it out.

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

TaylorH7682
on 10/30/12 11:48 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12
Yes I do have a lot of issues stemming from childhood. And I am still working through them. I grew up never feeling worthy. And it is something I know I will have to work on for the rest of my life. When I'm not here I'm a different person. I'm happy and confident and I do what I need to do when it comes to what I can and can't eat. Bein here brings me right back to who I used to be. And it's easier said then done to stand up for myself. But I'm working on it. And my dr upped me onto to "normal foods" over a week ago. And I've been okay doing small portions of regular food. And even here I've been doing small portions just nothing healthy. I'm going home now to get my head back where it needs to be. Separate myself from these people. And do what I need to do for myself. That's my way of standing up to them. Going home. I appreciate your harshness. I need it once in awhile. Especially when it comes to my family. Thank you.

desertmom
on 10/30/12 11:49 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi Taylor

I really agree with Keith and Nanarama,its way to early to be eating those things and this is an excellent learning curve for you,right here,right now.A bit early after your sleeve as we are still learning to deal with the loss of our stomachs but use this time.Practice your positive self talk you will need for the rest of your life.

If you are on solids already,eat protien,protein protein.I can promise you, you will feel more satisfied and you will lose the cravings very quickly.

So even if you feel you cannot stop yourself from eating,cut out the carbs and eat proteins,even if it is often.we often crave carbs as of course it helps with the feel good factor,thats what carbs seem to do.But it is a vicious cycle that you just dont need right now.

Good luck and I hope the power is restored soon.

LadyNoname
on 10/31/12 12:00 am - Eugene, OR

Taylor, I have childhood issues too, and I think you're right to go home as soon as possible. You're in a vulnerable place right now, so soon out of surgery, and you need to protect yourself. Maybe you can stand up for yourself later. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, going home IS standing up for yourself. You're removing yourself from a damaging situation. Sometimes it's best to just walk away. As long as you have stuff you can eat at home, even though the power is out, it's probably better to be there than in a place where you feel like you constantly have to defend yourself.

Tori

[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/2439/3250/24393250.png[/img][/url]
  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Calorie Counter[/url]

Nadurra Deb
on 10/31/12 1:13 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12

Don't worry! Hug your family! Play games, put together some kind of a walk in support for all of those effected by the storm. Go find some place you can volunteer to help out at a shelter or with those that have no family to look after them. You will go right back to being on track as soon as you have electricity again and can go home. Hang in there!

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 284 views