Huge Mistake!

Keith L.
on 11/14/12 11:22 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I have been making a HUGE mistake. When I record my powdered protein drinks I have not been recording the milk I make it with. It occurred to me this morning that I probably should and the 160 cal protein drink jumped to 310 when I added in my cup of Organic 2% Omega-3 DHA milk. I have been avoiding protein shakes for a couple days now so I am fairly accurate for the past week or so, but all my recording in the past did not include this. I thought I was skating by with a reasonable calorie count now to find out I am probably over by 150 cals or more per protein shake.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

califsleevin
on 11/14/12 11:47 pm - CA

At least your protein count is higher!

Now the decision time - cut things back to the caloric level that you thought you were at, or leave things be and see how you progress as you have been doing. Of course, as we progress, the protein shakes tend to take a back seat to other protein sources so that error is somewhat self-correcting.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Keith L.
on 11/14/12 11:52 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Well first is to start making protein shakes with water and use milk and almond milk for cooking. Second I read this thing on a bariatric surgery support site last night that you should get 30 grams of protein at breakfast and the only way to do that without eating more than my stomach can hold is a protein shake (and a home made one at that as I do not know of any RTDs that are 30 grams except Isopure which I have discovered there are no flavors I can stand). They also said it should be Whey Isolate not concentrate. Then the rest of the day protein from natural sources. This was on a list of success factors. So I am going to try this for a while and see if I can sustain it. I was focusing on Fiber for breakfast. Maybe I can mix my fiber into my protein shake.

Def want to stay between 600 and 800 calories, 40 carbs, 80 protein.

synthangel
on 11/15/12 12:15 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
On November 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM Pacific Time, Keith L. wrote:

Well first is to start making protein shakes with water and use milk and almond milk for cooking. Second I read this thing on a bariatric surgery support site last night that you should get 30 grams of protein at breakfast and the only way to do that without eating more than my stomach can hold is a protein shake (and a home made one at that as I do not know of any RTDs that are 30 grams except Isopure which I have discovered there are no flavors I can stand). They also said it should be Whey Isolate not concentrate. Then the rest of the day protein from natural sources. This was on a list of success factors. So I am going to try this for a while and see if I can sustain it. I was focusing on Fiber for breakfast. Maybe I can mix my fiber into my protein shake.

Def want to stay between 600 and 800 calories, 40 carbs, 80 protein.

Try the RTD premier protein at costco and sams club. Its 30 g of protein, in 11 oz, 160 cal, 3 carbs, 1g sugar.  And the taste pretty damn good. I started drinking them because of the recommendations from this site. I have them for breakfast which does set the day off right for me.

Also not a huge fan of Isopure but its not to have on occassion :)

Keith L.
on 11/15/12 1:42 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am going to try those.

arob843_
on 11/15/12 2:34 am
VSG on 11/19/12
Premier protein is 30g protein 160 cake and taste good
smkeller
on 11/15/12 12:42 am

Keith, I don't think that this is as serious as you think that it is.

You actually need the calories to help your body burn up fat.

It's the CARBS (and protein, of course) that deserve more attention, not the extra healthy calories.

Bowls of ice cream, that's another matter!

Best of luck.

Steve

Keith L.
on 11/15/12 1:41 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My concern is with that combination over 300 of my 600-800 calories a day is gone with one meal. No snacks, no drinks (I only drink water so that is not an issue), no vitamin gummies, etc. By the time I add in my vitamins, calcium, fiber, etc. for the morning I am around 350 calories. Which is fine strategically, but doesn't leave much for natural nutrition.

Shagdoll
on 11/15/12 12:52 am

Oops!!!  Yeah, you definitely want to count that milk in your daily plan, especially if you are watching carbs too.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

SuzyNZ
on 11/15/12 12:55 am
VSG on 09/17/12
As long as you have still been losing, I wouldn't stress about it. Milk is hardly like chomping out on a cream doughnut!

This is a long distance run, not a sprint, so in the grand scheme of things, a couple of hundred extra good type of calories for a few weeks is not really going to make any difference to your progress.

Moving on...

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views