No pre-op liquid diet?

Melissa B.
on 12/6/12 6:16 am - MA
VSG on 04/24/13

Today I had my first pre surgery skills class. They said there is no pre-op liquid diet like I have read that many people on here have gone through. Not sure if this is a good thing or not?  Anyone else not need a pre-op diet? Were those first few weeks rough to go from food to liquids? I have already stopped drinking carbonated beverages and eating the junk food. I don't even miss it!!

Melissa

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/6/12 6:21 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I had no pre op diet at all. It was great not to have to do anything really, just stop eating at 10 pm the night before and no water or liquids 3 hrs before surgery. No bowel prep either. It was easy for me to transition to liquids post op. That phase wasn't so long either. So it was fine, in addition I didn't feel hungry so it was not a problem post op not to be eating.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Happy Gurl
on 12/6/12 6:35 am
VSG on 10/26/12

Good for you, giving up junk food and sodas!  I didn't have a pre-op diet either.  When you're recovering from surgery and on liquids for a week or more, you'll do just fine because you're not hungry.  Even at 6 weeks out I haven't experienced any actual, physical hunger.  Sure I smell something tasty and I want to eat it, but if I'm busy sometimes I look up and am amazed that six or seven hours have passed and I haven't had a thing to eat, and didn't notice!  I always balked at those fortunate people that "forget to eat"...because that was never me.  My stomach always made it clear it was time to eat...even when it wasn't.  Good luck to you:)   

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

acbbrown
on 12/6/12 6:39 am - Granada Hills, CA

i had no pre-op diet of any kind. I didnt find the transition tough...It was a relief to not have to worry about eating anymore!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

bigred_z
on 12/6/12 6:57 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I had a pre op diet for 1 week prior to surgery.  It wasn't liquids only though.  It was more about high protein and low glycogen (sugars and carbs) The purpose was to clear out glycogen stores from your liver since it lays over the stomach area and the smaller the liver, the better the access to the belly is w/ less chance of nicking the liver. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

grannymedic1
on 12/6/12 6:59 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I didn't have one, either. Be very, very glad. I have seen some people who have had to do a full 4 weeks of liquids before surgery. That is cruel and unusual.indecision

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

MuttLover
on 12/6/12 7:48 am
VSG on 11/14/12

None here -- my doc does have people with a higher BMI do a pre-op -- but it's very much like Medifast -- protein shakes (or replacement meals) and one lean and green meal.  Then liquids for 48 hours preop.  That's it!  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

ALIFETOLIVE
on 12/6/12 7:53 am
VSG on 12/12/12

Well I have one. I'm on day 2. It's not too bad. I find myself drinking the protein shakes and washing my mouth out with water afterwards. LOL.. But on my menu for the next 5 days is clear liquids,, SF Jell-o, SF popsicles, broths (veggie, chicken and beef) and 3-4 protein shakes.

Bekahre7
on 12/6/12 8:33 am

Mine is 10 days and I'm currently on day 6. It's not fun, but it's not horribly difficult. So, I'd be ecstatic that you don't have to do one. I find it interesting that doctors do it differently...can't seem to find a rhyme or reason to why some require it and some don't.  But consider yourself lucky!  

califsleevin
on 12/6/12 1:31 pm - CA

No pre-op diet here, either.

Much of the difference in surgeons' practices on this comes down to their experiences - not necessarily how "experienced" they are as a bariatric surgeon, but rather what procedures they routinely do and how long they have been doing them. Relative to the sleeve or RNY procedures, the DS requires a lot of fiddly work right under the liver in splitting the duodenum (the "switch" part of the duodenal switch), in an area very congested with the bile ducts, pancreas, etc., so DS docs become a lot more comfortable working in that region than other docs, and as a result, few of them require the "liver shrinking" diets that docs with different experiences do.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views