What are you doing for exercise?

Melissa B.
on 12/11/12 10:27 am - MA
VSG on 04/24/13

I started exercising two weeks ago. I am walking at the gym for an hour, 3 days a week. So far I've been able to do 2.5 miles, at a 1.5-2.0% incline, with a speed of 2.5-3.0 mph.

Just wanted to see what others are doing and if I'm on the right track.

Melissa

MuttLover
on 12/11/12 10:50 am
VSG on 11/14/12

To me, the right track is ANY track that you can do consistently!  I like water exercise, since it's easier on my joints and once you get into the pool, no one can see my hips and thighs jiggling around!  And I have a suit with legs that come almost to my knees, so actually there is no jiggling -- it's all hidden!  And my thighs don't rub together!

With that visual in mind-- I do water aerobics, water Zumba, swim or do a set of water exercises on my own.  I have this wonderful present from DH -- a waterproof Nano.  So if I'm working out by myself, I can have some tunes!  Believe me, that makes swimming a lot more interesting.

However, I need strength training too, so I've made an appt for this Thursday at the gym to get a program set up.  Not my favorite thing -- but now that I am a Weight Loss Machine ****ep telling myself this!), I need to take advantage of every opportunity!

I also like ballroom dancing -- in pants.  Not fussy costumes! LOL!  DH and I took it up when the kid went away to college, and I was smaller.  But as I put on a few pounds, I kept injuring myself. So I haven't been for a long time.  We started a refresher class last week -- it's very slow paced!

And if all else fails, I walk the dog!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/12 11:01 am - Musquash, NB, Canada
VSG on 10/02/12

Hi,

I joined a gym four weeks ago. I do 35 minutes treadmill 2.4 speed, random incline, I do 35 minutes semi recumbent bicycle level 5, and 15 minutes of elliptical, level 3, I used to be scared of that machine... but now, I get a good workout arms and legs... and actually look forward to it. I also work on 8-10 different weight machines focusing on everything from my back to arms to legs, 12 reps increasing weight as it gets easier to do. I go to the gym 4-5 times per week, but I only do weight machines 3x's per week, allowing for muscles to heal in between.

You are doing fine... I find it gets easier for me the more weight I lose. Keep up the good work!!!

Danielle

stillalb
on 12/11/12 11:51 am

I am only 4 weeks post op so this is my first week exercising. But I met with the trainer assigned to my program and he gave me good ideas for exercise I can do at home- we have a recumbant bike - I am to do 30 minutes, moderate exertion (heart rate 130-140) 5 days a week.

Then I am supposed to do strength training. Arm stuff with 3 lb weights 1-3 sets of 8 reps , then leg stuff just standing and using my own weight, again 1-3 sets of 8 reps. I do the strength training 2-3 days a week.

Then I step up the intensity in 2-4 weeks.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

tanass
on 12/11/12 12:09 pm - Kelowna, Canada
VSG on 10/23/12 with

I started exercising 4 days after my surgery, I've stayed steady at 30 - 40 minutes of Elliptical on fat burn or level 10. I burn an average of 350 - 400 calories a day on average. Occasionally I miss the gym but never more then once a week. I add swimming in there once in awhile, and I stand on my feet all day running back and forth and hunched over people lol.  Any exercise is good exercise as long as it isn't accompanied with ****ty eat lol (I was sleeved october 24th and have had no issues with food and catch myself still trying to eat the stuff I did before. But once I take a bit and for the most part I eat very little of whatever it is because I know it's pointless, eventually I'll kick my old habits).

Terrimarv
on 12/11/12 12:36 pm - IL
VSG on 12/04/12
Walking was my only option at the beginning--I simply was not capable of anything else. I'm in my 50s and have beaten the crap out of my joints for a lot of years, and had convinced myself that I was unable to exercise. I finally accepted that the only place I could start is right where I am, do I dusted off some "vintage" athletic shoes and went for a walk. Thought I was going to die in less than 5 minutes! I'm now up to about 20 minutes almost every day, with light weight training. I've been reading the posts tonight about the half-marathon in San Diego next summer; not ever going to be an option for this old broad, but my victory is just feeling strong again and doing SOMETHING.

So, to make a short answer long, do whatever you can, and add things that sound like fun as you go. Sounds to me like you're doing great!
(deactivated member)
on 12/11/12 1:04 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I started out walking and all through the summer was getting in about 5 miles a day.  A month ago I finally joined a gym and am now working out at least 5 days a week.  1 day a week I meet with a trainer and do strength exercise that I also do at home.  The rest of the time I doing the Elliptical, 35 minutes on the fat burning setting which is basically intervals.  At home I will toss in another mile or two on my treadmill at 3.5mph and 5 incline.  I usually do that when I feel hungry or want a snack -once I exercise then I don't feel as hungry,

Jarisaunt
on 12/11/12 3:59 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

I don't go to the gym. I have a job that keeps me on the move. On the weekends I'll walk in a park or by the bay for a couple of miles.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/11/12 6:12 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I love my gym. Hate the getting there part but once I am there I really love it. It is the first time I have stuck with a gym for over a year. This goes to before surgery. It feels and smells like a spa so it feels like a treat going there. Even if you sweat.

I usually do 30-45 minutes of cardio on a type of elliptical trainer that also has like a Nordic ski component to it - it has the arms thing and the feet can move up and down or in a circle. Hard to explain but anyway. You get the picture. I do it on level 5 and it usually burns about 300 calories for me - it is set to me personally with my weight and height entered on my programme.

Then I do about 30 minutes of weight training. I do upper body, lower body, crunches and back muscles. I have 8 machines on my programme and I do 3 or 4 repititions on each of either 15 or 20 and the weight varies from 10 to 30 kgs depending on the machine. The leg press for example I do 30 kgs. The thighs I can do 20 or 25 kgs. Arms are 17.5 and back is usually 10 or 12.5. Crunches I am working up to my pre surgery endurance.. so for now I am at 10 kgs. And if I do the full programme it usually burns about 250 cals also.

I try to go 3-5 times a week. I also walk the dogs and try to walk everywhere during the day rather than take the car if I can and if weather permits.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Airpun79
on 12/11/12 11:15 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Hi msmlb!
You're on the right track!

I started walking at a slow pace immediately after surgery.  I slowly increased the distance to 3 miles 3x times a week.  I did this from about a month and then I added some cardio (Biggest Loser videos) before my walks and some sit-ups and push-ups.  Doing this routine I loss 70 lbs from July-Oct.  In October I tried out CrossFit and although its by far the most difficult  activity that I've physically ever done, I loved it! I just hit my 2 month mark of doing CrossFit and I've lost 38 lbs in that timeframe and gotten so much stronger, flexible, and my stamina and energy are off the charts.  Although I still have 50-55 lbs to goal, at 250 lbs I can honestly say that I am in better shape right now than when I was 19 yrs old and 220 lbs. 

Thank you for your post! -Larry

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 437 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views