"Your body can't absorb more than 30g of protein in 1 sitting"

Alove188
on 3/29/13 4:01 am
VSG on 01/28/13

So I've spent some time reading up on if there is a limit on how much protein (especially from shakes because real food sources take longer to digest) your body can absorb in 1 sitting. Most fitness experts suggest that anything past 30 grams, your kidneys won't absorb and it just goes straight into the bowl.

Does anyone here think there is any truth in this?

(I began looking into this, because I don't have much of an appetite yet, so I try to cram as much protein possible in each meal AKA more than 30)

AdeanaMarie
on 3/29/13 5:08 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I know there is a limit on how much your body will use in one sitting.  Not sure the exact number.  I was told at one point it was under 20 grams.  Truth is, it probably depends on how well you chew the food and how easily it is digested as well.  I know it should be scattered throughout the day, but sorry, I am unclear on the exact number of grams at one time.  Will watch this post to see what others have found. 

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

oakcliffsleever
on 3/29/13 6:26 am - Dallas, TX
My doctor told us 35g. That's why do many shakes are formulated to come out at that number.
Keith L.
on 3/29/13 6:38 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think its a crock of hooey. But I do think there is probably more to it than that. I think if you drink a 30 gram protein shake and go and sit down to watch TV all day, then yes you probably are not going to absorb much of it. But if you are gunning down 50 grams of protein within the next hour you hit the gym for a weight lifting session then you are probably going to use it all and possible some more. I think what they talk about is a general rule. You are not getting much protein in your normal diet. 

The one rule I try to follow is 30 grams within 30 mins of waking up. But I routinely get more than 30 and I don't see any difference in my urine or feces so I don't think I am dumping it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Alove188
on 3/29/13 7:24 am
VSG on 01/28/13

Yea, as there's no definite way to prove how much your body absorbs, & everyone's body functions differently - there are conflicting answers.

But supposedly when it comes to protein shakes (whey) your body absorbs 10g per hour

Crabadams72
on 3/29/13 8:33 am - Silver Spring, MD
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst3.htm

See myth #2

Bodybuilder have been debunking this for years. Remember most of them take in 200grams of protein when training.

VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Alove188
on 3/29/13 8:43 am
VSG on 01/28/13

Thanks for the link! :)   If I wasn't able to have more than 25 or 30 grams in one sitting there is no way I'd meet my protein requirements, as I have enough trouble as it is.

The funny thing is that most of the proponents of the "no more than 30g at once" rule were in the bodybuilding.com forums.

MsBatt
on 3/29/13 9:04 am

Well, your kidneys don't absorb your food---your intestines do. (*grin*) There probably is a limit, but I'm sure it varies from person to person.

thinnersinner
on 3/29/13 9:34 am

After reading the article, I wonder what the digestibility is of those protein shots I see advertised.  The article mentioned the digestibility of meat at 97%. 

Crabadams72
on 3/29/13 9:55 am - Silver Spring, MD
The shots are garbage for us post op folks. It is the nails,skin and hair of the pig.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 203 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 287 views