Had my first "dumping" experience..

angieg0410
on 4/30/13 4:06 am - OK

I am 1 year out.   I was eating ice cream (bad, I know). I knew I was full, but there was more in my bowl (bad, again) - so I made myself fini**** 5 minutes later I was in the bathroom yacking it up. I felt HORRIBLE. My heart was pounding, I was shaking and sweating and I felt like I was going to pass out. It was the worst feeling. That was the first time I had done that. Learned my lesson. It was probably a good thing I did that because now the thought of ice cream makes me gag. :)

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

loverofcats
on 4/30/13 4:09 am

Yep, too much fat and sugar will do that.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

happiegirl
on 4/30/13 4:14 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12

Yup it happens!  Also some people develop lactose intolerance after the sleeve.  Another thing to consider.

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

Keith L.
on 4/30/13 4:42 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Well the obvious thing to say is "Just don't do that again." But I was just looking at the before/after pic in your profile and I think you should take a good look at that photo and ask yourself would you rather be the one on the left or the one on the right? Next time you reach for a bowl of ice cream or you make yourself finish something, think of that photo. 

You have obviously put the work in, you obviously see the reward, why would you risk being the person on the left? Not that there is anything wrong with the person on the left, but if that is where you are headed back to, then what was the point?

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

angieg0410
on 4/30/13 4:56 am - OK

You are very right.  I won't deprive myself of every treat though.  I know that I can have a small bit of ice cream occasionally, but last night I learned just how much was too much.  Believe me, I won't be doing that again!

~Angie~

Keith L.
on 4/30/13 5:02 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That is the trick actually. Do not deprive yourself. But one bite in this case was as good as a whole bowl and it doesn't undo any of the hard work you have put in. Also there are tons of sugar free ice creams out there to fill in for those times when you need a treat. So Delicious makes a coconut milk butter pecan ice cream that is relatively low carb, I found it at publix and it is very good AND has fiber in it. Also jello makes a whole line of sugar free puddings that are 60 cals per cup, very tasty, and definitely satisfy.

I do not subscribe to the deprivation approach, in fact I am more of how can I fit the things I want (or something similar) into my new way of life. Habits like "I made myself" fini**** worry me much more than the fact that you had ice cream. That is old you, not new you. Keep new you close by and use this experience as a reminder of why we don't like old you.

The last thing we want to know is where "too much" lives because too much minus one bite is a lot closer to too much when one bite was probably enough.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

angieg0410
on 4/30/13 5:05 am - OK

You are very wise.  

~Angie~

datachick
on 4/30/13 4:44 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Yeah I'm glad I had my first experience early on, it's really shaped my choices.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

phred
on 4/30/13 8:40 am - CO

Not dumping, reactive hypoglycemia!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views