PPI question

Mousesmom
on 5/25/13 2:04 pm - OR
VSG on 03/18/13
Its probably in the forum somewhere but I am on my phone and searching with it sucks.
My Doctor gave me a 20mg time release capsule for 90 days.
I am getting rumbles and that empty feeling after 9 or 10 at night.
So my question is how many mg is your PPI?
Does it seem to wear off in the evening?
My perscription expires in June. Do those who are more than 3 months out still take a PPI?
I have my 3 month appointment June 20 so I will ask the doc then too.
I just would like an idea of other peoples experience
acbbrown
on 5/25/13 2:25 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I think most PPIs should be 20mg or so - the max dose is usually 40 mg taken twice a day. That's what ive been on since 6 weeks post op when it was clear 20mg wasnt enough. 40mg doesnt work for me either so ive just suffered for 2 years...but you could try tums/pepcid/zantac or something that is more fast acting at night to see if it reduces/eliminates your symptoms - if it does it is probably acid related and you might benefit from increasing your dose - obviously discuss with your doctor though. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

pharmergirl
on 5/25/13 2:54 pm
VSG on 04/04/13
You can't compare the mg strengths of different medicines even if they are in the same class. For example 40mg of one drug is not twice as strong as 20mg of a different drug. So in order to answer your question, I need to know the name, strength and frequency of what you take.

Also, different docs have different prescribing patterns. Some patients are on a PPI, some are not. Some are on just for a few weeks, some are on forever. It depends on the patient and the doctor.

If you're having nighttime symptoms you might need something stronger, or maybe a higher dose, or maybe twice daily dosing. I wouldn't wait until June 20th to talk to your doc. Why suffer? Call your doc and see what they say.
Donnab62
on 5/26/13 12:04 am
VSG on 04/29/13

I have been experiencing the same thing. It seems like at night I get the rumbles even in my throat. I have never experienced or had to take a PPI before so I didn't know if that was normal. It even wakes me up at night. Very uncomfortable. My appointment is Tuesday and I am going to speak with my doctor about it.

Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views