Doc says, I'm never going to heal.....

kellied77
on 5/23/13 9:32 pm

Okay............never is an exaggeration! 

This dang torn abdominal muscle is really slowing my routine.  I wanted to be working out by sixth week post op, now I have 9 to 10 weeks post op..........UGH!!  I was so looking forward to dropping more weight with exercise.  It doesn't help that I am a very impatient person.

As soon as my tread mill gets in, I can start incline walking.  It's the exercise and strength training that will have to wait.

I'm so frustrated about it, and so fearful it will hinder my overall weight loss. 

Any similar experience and/or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for all your support.

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

2much2do
on 5/23/13 10:24 pm

what do you mean by torn abnormal muscle how did it happen I am asking cause I work in a physical job and have to lift heavy stuff all the time on thurs felt alot of pain in stomach area and felt like I was going to pass out just wondering if this is something I should be concerned with how did you know that you tore this muscle  I am six weeks out

thanks for any answers you can give me

also good luck and hopefully you will feel better real soon walking will help you keep up the good work

kellied77
on 5/24/13 1:16 am

Torn muscle is different than a strained or sore over used muscle.  It is where the muscle fibers actually tear away from one another.  It hurts really bad!  And it takes a really long time to heal.

I emailed my surgeon's nurse and she said that is what it sounded like to her, but suggested that I go see my regular physician to have it looked at.  He poked around and diagnosed it as a torn muscle.  Her prescribed me muscle relaxers and for me to apply a heating pad two to three times a day as needed for relaxing the muscle.

I can't tell you for sure what you have going on, but I can share my symptoms with you:

It hurts anytime that muscle is flexed, sneezing, coughing, laughing, bending, squatting, stooping....etc.

The pain is fire hot.  It burns like crazy when it flexes really hard.  About once a day it feels just kind of sore.

Also, note that the heating pad should not be applied until about three days after initial injury.   That way any swelling has time to go down.

Keith L.
on 5/23/13 10:27 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

When I got on the plane to come home from my surgery I twisted funny getting into my seat and tore an abdominal muscle next to one of my incisions. 8 months later it is still tender. Take a very long time to heal. You can exercise with it, just stay away from abdominal exercises until it is healed. you can still do squats and presses, curls.

Also why wait for the treadmill? Go for a walk around the neighborhood or walk around the mall a couple times.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

kellied77
on 5/24/13 1:27 am, edited 5/24/13 1:27 am

I live out in the boonies, so I walk around my acreage for exercise.  I am so less winded with just the little I've lost.  I'm just really anticipating the treadmill so I can start incline walking.  So excited!  Just really bummed that I can't hit the hard stuff just yet.  Remember I said I am extremely impatient.  It drives my hubby crazy........lol

Thanks so much for sharing your great wisdom, you are an awesome inspiration on here.  You've done really well with your WL tool!

ravenbrown
on 5/23/13 10:49 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

It won't hinder your weight loss, just stay on plan and track everything.  Your diet is much more important than exercise.  Don't take this as me knocking exercise or saying you shouldn't do it, just that you shouldn't be fearful you won't lose weight because you can't do strenuous activity.  Exercise is great for your body and your mind, but if you keep your diet under control, you will lose weight.  I know there are tons of people on here who have lost substantial amounts of weight with little to no exercise.  Take care of yourself and allow yourself to heal. 

louisamay
on 5/23/13 10:56 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

Listen to Raven. Seriously.

And think of this as a secret weapon. You will probably be dropping weight really well without doing the abdominal stuff. I never did any at all. I hardly did anything, not being a work-out person. I did walk sometimes. (I'm not saying "do what I did," just saying, the surgery works, trust it.)

And then remember that by the time your weight loss wants to start slowing down--whether that's a few weeks or months from now-- you have a weapon to pull out of the closet--kick up your workout plan and catch it by surprise!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/13 11:00 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

You will still lose weight even if you can't exercise. I didn't regularly start an exercise regime until I was 6 months post-op and I was already almost at goal at that time. Exercise is important and it should be integrated into your daily life at some point to encourage longevity and increase strength, stamina etc., but diet is far more important to your weight loss overall. For example. let's say I eat a bag of M&M's, just one of the individual sizes you see at the checkout counter. Those are 240 calories per serving, and there's generally 2 servings in one of those bags, making it a 480 calorie splurge. Once you start using your treadmill you'll see how long it takes to burn those kinds of calories off. Be very vigilant about your diet. You'll be fine. 

Deckeriv
on 5/24/13 12:20 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I agree with Raven, but with one caveat. If you don't at least walk, you will be a skinny un-toned person. You will have flappy skin, don't also have flappy muscles under that skin.

Walking is enough to get those endorphins kicked in that makes you feel wonderful. After you heal, light weights will help as well.

You will lose weight without exercise, but you will feel better with it.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

mickeymantle
on 5/24/13 1:14 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the main prepuce of the exercise is not to lose more weight  , but to maintain and build muscle,   increase the treadmill or mall, walks till you can do other exercise 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views