HELP!!! with the reflux

Islandertra
on 6/8/13 8:02 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Can some one please help with suggestions for reflux . I take 20mg Tecta in am and 20 mg two hrs before bed. I also take Gavascon throughout the day. I have stayed away from coffee, tea anything acidic lemon etc. anything spicy. It seems that the only time I don't have reflux is with a protein drink, and yogurt. Its just a constant burn most of the day and all night. This is the second time my meds have been changed. I am 25 days out and having little sleep is killing me. HELP !!!!!cool

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

SuzaQue
on 6/8/13 8:11 am - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

OK, you are going to think that I am crazy but this really, really works.  I has having terrible reflux to the point I could not lay flat so I turned to the internet and started looking.  This is what I found...................

Take 1 tsp yellow mustard then 2 sips of pickle juice and follow it up with a tsp of honey to get rid of the taste.  In less than 10 minutes you will start to feel better. 

In fact, I did it last night because we went with friends to Sweet Tomatoes and I had 1 bite too much and I had awful heartburn.  When I went to bed it was in my bed not the recliner and I slept like baby all night!

p.s.  if you take your surgery card, Sweet Tomatoes only charges you for a child's meal   :)

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

Islandertra
on 6/8/13 8:16 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

I will try that. Did you use dill pickle juice or what? Everything I take works for a few minute then bamm its back.! Thanks Suzy

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

SuzaQue
on 6/8/13 8:36 am - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

I had Kosher dill in the frig, whatever you have.  Once I do it, I am good to go..................until I do something dumb again, i.e. eat that one bite too much or eat a food that I know will trigger it like radishes, cucumbers with the seeds.

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

KathyA999
on 6/8/13 9:06 am, edited 6/8/13 9:06 am

Reflux is the worst, and makes your quality of life just miserable.  So sorry you're going thru this.

Two things.  First, it looks like the Tecta isn't working.  All PPIs are not the same, and in fact I cycled through four before finding one that works for me consistently.  Each would work for a few weeks to a few months, but then the acid would come back.  See if your surgeon or PCP will write you a scrip for another.

Second, acid neutralizers like Gaviscon, Zantac, etc., are known to cause acid rebound in some people.  I.e., it neutralizes the acid for a while, but it comes roaring back even worse after the med wears off.  I'd say put down the Gaviscon if you can.  Especially if the mustard/pickle juice helps.  BTW, vinegar does the same thing.  The theory is that the stomach is trying to up the acid content, so introducing a naturally acid-y substance causes the stomach to dial back. 

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

ravenbrown
on 6/8/13 9:31 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12
I had to do Prilosec twice a day for five months. It was the only way I didn't feel like I was choking on acid all day and night. I still take one a day

linzeelee
on 6/8/13 11:26 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
Sorry you are struggling with reflux, Tracy. I take prilosec twice a day. In the past I've had good luck with apple cider vinegar. Get the organic kind that has the "mother." Dump a splash into some cold water and drink.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Islandertra
on 6/8/13 12:13 pm - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

I think I will talk to my pcp about switching to Prilosec i can't do this anymore

Edelge
on 6/8/13 12:54 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

I have been on the strongest does of Prilosec, 40mg 2xs a day since surgery.  Reflux is the worst, keep trying different meds and doses till you are comfortable.  You don't have to live that way :)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/8/13 2:38 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Sorry about yr reflux issues. Definitely try a stronger PPI. From what I read on here people try several before finding the right one for them. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views