HELP!!! with the reflux

Islandertra
on 6/8/13 4:07 pm - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Thanks to you all for the help, I am dreading going to bed, I am going to try sleeping on a wedge and I hope that helps.I even had a hard time with water today because even that burned my throat.This SUCKS!!!! I am  definitely going to try a new ppi.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

mapietras
on 6/9/13 12:03 am - MI

A little correction...Zantac is a histamine blocker (H2) and does NOT cause acid rebound. The proton pump inhibitors (PPI) like Prilosec cause acid rebound. The PPI's inhibit the hormone gastrin from being released in the stomach, which is made by the parietal cells in the stomach lining. So the gastrin hormone stores up in the blood. Until the build-up of gastrin is depleted, the stomach will experience acid rebound. It can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to 3 months. Another option, which helps protect the lining of the stomach is Degiycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL). This is an alternative medicine approach. It causes the goblet cells in the stomach to produce more mucus, which protects the lining of the stomach. It is taken about 20 minutes before each meal.

My doctor switched me from Prilosec to Zantac because of the rebound issue. The Zantac and other H2's aren't as strong or effective at suppressing acid as the PPI's. However, the Zantac has helped ease me through the acid rebound stage. I've also used DGL from time to time.

I've googled and read other alternative methods for reducing acid...like mixing baking soda with water and drinking it...but haven't tried the other methods. I think they involve alkaline foods or drinks, that counter the high acid in the stomach. Good luck. Excess acid is no fun.

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Donnab62
on 6/9/13 12:40 am
VSG on 04/29/13

My surgeon bumped up my prilosec from 20mg to 40mg and that seems to have done the trick. There have been alot of interesting responses. Everybody is so knowledgeable. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views