Anyone gaining weight with exercise?

G5x5
on 7/29/13 1:25 am - VA

Have been doing more exercise the last few days.  Today's weigh-in showed a gain of 0.4lbs but a lost of 0.3% body fat (if the fancy scale can be trusted).

I'm 6 weeks post op and usually see either a daily drop or a single day where it flatlines then resumes the next day  (so I've been pretty lucky so far).

Since the scale has shown continual drops in body fat throughout, I'm thinking this is showing slight shifts toward building muscle mass while still shedding fat.

However, I was curious if anyone else had experienced slight up ticks while making similar increases in exercise?

thanks!

ParisGirl
on 7/29/13 1:52 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Depending on what you're doing, you're tearing down muscle fibers and when you do you'll retain some water.  Be sure to take measurements!  1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1 lb of muscle, but muscle takes up a lot less room! kiss

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/13 2:24 am

Most likely this is a little bit of water retention caused by the break down of the muscle tissue. The muscle tissue uses the water to help it repair. It is highly unlikely that during a significant calorie deficit that your body will gain muscle (it is virtually impossible to gain muscle during a calorie deficit). You will keep your muscles toned and defined and exercise helps the body use fat for energy and not rely on muscle tissue for energy, so keep at the exercise. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that you can actually build muscle during your WL period.

stephanieplum
on 7/29/13 2:30 am
VSG on 06/27/12
Anne64
on 7/29/13 2:47 am
VSG on 06/19/13

Seriously?  I didn't know this.  Of course I will continue exercising, but I am curious as to the intensity I should be seeking.  What if our muscles were not toned nor defined before?  What is my resistance band training accomplishing then....Should I not work the muscles to the point of failure at this point?  What about 45 minutes of cardio every other day...does it do anything during the weight loss phase?

If I sound tense it is because I am sitting here with glutes that are screaming from this weekends work outs.  I would hate to be accomplishing nothing or very little.

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

Anne64
on 7/29/13 3:01 am, edited 7/29/13 3:01 am
VSG on 06/19/13
Anne64
on 7/29/13 3:03 am, edited 7/29/13 3:03 am
VSG on 06/19/13

Found some research to answer my own questions...however, I can't cut and paste it here for some reason.

Basically, calorie deficit alone can cause 1/3 of weight loss to be muscle, calorie deficit with cardio averages 22% muscle loss BUT those that do cardo and resistance training lose only 3% muscle.  Seems like a very good deal....I will take the sore ass.

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

Jennifer L.
on 7/29/13 3:58 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Thanks for sharing!!!

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Keith L.
on 7/29/13 2:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

More likely than not what you are seeing is water retention. It takes a long time to put on 1 lbs of muscle. You probably did lose the body fat but if your weight did not move you are probably retaining water, especially if you are exercising and have not significantly increased your water intake.

Now if you are in beast mode everytime you hit the gym then do a little happy dance for trading fat weight for muscle weight.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

datachick
on 7/29/13 2:52 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12
I work out with a trainer, high intensity and lots of weights, four times a week. in three months i lost 17lbs of fat and gained one pound of muscle. So it takes a long time to build muscle.
I suggest you don't put much thought into daily tenths of pounds of gain or loss, just keep plugging along. Same stuff happened to me, turns out the daily ups and downs weren't worth the angst.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views