Pep talk?

RollerCoaster14
on 7/31/13 11:20 pm

Hi! I've had my pre-surgery class now (twice, heh, long story involving Tricare (insurance) loopholes) and today is the first big deal, face-to-face with the doctor. I had the ECG, chest X-ray, and million-vial blood draw. I hope my iron is high enough to keep moving forward; I've had issues with anemia before.

I need to start looking into vitamins to buy, and adjusting my diet little by little. I cut out soda already, which was a big deal for me. I think next I'm going to cut out the remaining caffiene (coffee) and start trying to walk more, and to start with food journaling.
What is a reasonable weight loss goal between now and Pre-Op? I'm 285 pounds, personally I'd like to see 145 as a goal but I need to discuss it with my doctor. How high of a priority should removing carbs be? I'm trying to babystep it, and with each step, make sure that I've got it to habit before I take the next one, because I've always quit a diet when it felt way too restrictive, and anything healthy as compared to my current habits will feel too restrictive, even though I know in my head it's not. I've cut back on the junk carbs, but not OUT yet. I think it's time to take that step, too, I feel, though my husband would have me aim for Paleo-which cuts out ALL OF THE CARBS.

How bad is having a normal carb with dinner? (Meaning, like a tortilla (that hasn't been fried for a taco, or a few cubed potatoes in a home-made stew?)

Mom4Jazz
on 8/1/13 12:14 am

What does your doctor recommend for a pre-op diet?

I would focus on setting up a meal plan and learning to stick with it, rather than a specific weight loss goal pre-op. I would also recommend against 'adjusting' whatever plan you and your doctor agree on because that can get to be a habit and can greatly undermine your success. If you decide right now that you are going to follow all meal plans and not fudge, you are much more likely to be successful in the long run.

It's harder pre-op. I realize that. But it's also a very short period of time.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

RollerCoaster14
on 8/1/13 12:19 am

Thank you!

We haven't gotten that far yet. I go in to meet my doctor here in about twenty minutes. :P I do know that I'll be meeting with the nutritionist AFTER this appointment, this doctor has to approve me for the program and send me to see her and the psychiatrist. I know already that the nutritionist and I have different feelings about artificial sweeteners; she is for them and I'm very skeptical of them. Either way, I'm hoping she and I can work together on a plan for me.

Keith L.
on 8/1/13 12:20 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You should try to cut out as many carbs as possible, especially anything white such as potatoes, rice, bread, sugar. If you want to eat brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats (not the best), whole wheat bread (not the best), sweet potatoes you should be ok with those for now. Sweet potatoes are great, brown rice great slow digesting carb (keeps you satisfied longer), quinoa has a good amount of protein for what you eat. As for priority, your priority should be to eliminate the white stuff and sugar for sure. That is the hard part, if you can switch from white to brown, when you have to cut them out completely post-op it will be much easier. Check out Timothy Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet, its very easy to stick to and I think a great way to do what you are trying to do.

As for the rest of it, my advice to you is to keep it as simple as possible. The easier it is for you to do, the easier it will be for you to stick with. So for vitamins, you don't need fancy bariatric vitamins. Simple Flintstones chewables are great for pre/post-op and later you can do adult gummies until you can swallow whole pills.

Cutting out soda is huge, good job, stick with it. Something that can help with that is to add something like crystal light, mio, or dasani water flavorings to your water. You will want to get used to drinking as much water as you can, it is your friend later.

Food journaling is a critical success factor. Log everything that goes into your mouth, you will be amazed at how much you really eat. If people logged what they ate, they would stop eating 20% just by doing that.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

cappy11448
on 8/1/13 1:17 am

Hi,

I think the question of eating carbs depends on how your body reacts to them.  For me, even a spoonful of rice or a slice of bread will trigger food cravings for days.  If you struggle with cravings, I'd recommend trying to go very-low-carb for a few days to a week and see if the cravings subside.  For me, I wouldn't have a chance of sticking to the plan if I had more than a few carbs.  A lot of people here share this reaction.  But a lot don't. 

So give it a try.  I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Jackie T.
on 8/1/13 1:17 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I second trying to cut back on carbs before surgery.  It doesn't mean you need to get rid of them completely but the more you can cut now, the easier it will be later.  Follow the food plan your doctor/nutritionist give you and the walking is a great idea.  There are studies that show those who journal their food have more success long term.  Here are a couple other things to try and do now also: 

1.  Eat your protein first a every meal, then eat your healthy vegetables, if you still have room then your starches (higher carbs).

2.  Eat slowly.  Take small bites and chew your food very well. 

3.  Don't drink anything at least 30 minutes prior to a meal or after a meal.  No drinking with your meal.  This will be a big adjustment.

If you start incorporating these 3 things into your pre-op journey it will make things a lot easier afterwards and prepare you for how you eat after surgery.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views