For those who are at least a few months out from surgery, I have an question for you...

candiedtamz
on 10/9/13 4:13 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Hi everyone!!!

For those that have been sleeved and are now past the liquid and mushy diet  part of the journey, I was wondering what type of eating and exercising plan you have implemented to drop the most weight?

I know people's bodies respond differently but I'm very intrigued with those who are losing most/large amounts of their weight 7 to 9 months into this. I personally have a good 130 to 150lbs to loose so I'm really curious about what I can do to enhance or encourage my body to get moving. I am prepared for the long haul but it never hurts to get the weight off quickly yet in a healthy manner. My question is WHAT in the world are you doing to drop so quickly since so many people say getting VSG doesn't allow weight to come off that quickly like Bypass does. And yes, I'm gladly going for the VSG procedure and I can't wait to get my surgery date after my last requirement is completed on Friday. Woohoo!!!!

Lexie 84
on 10/9/13 4:44 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

The major calorie deficit that we all experience is what causes the weight to drop dramatically, no matter what. And it's really no slower than RNY folks. Getting into the habit of high protein/low carb diets will also help the process. There are many on here who can explain to you the facts (hows and whys) behinds all of that. Staying away from fast food/fatty foods and sweets during your weight loss (honeymoon) period will help keep your cals/fat/carbs low as they should so that will also help with weight loss. It should be a great change from your previous diet and your body will benefit from the dramatic change. Also , no matter how much gym time you do or don't put in, just stay active. I have never been a gym person and i really hate sweating. SO unfortunately, I did not become a workout warrior after surgery. But I have committed to being active and walking almost everyday. I am about 18 months out...went from 226lbs to 125lbs in that time. Most of it was off before last Christmas. So I say just stick to a balanced diet and stay active. The weight WILL come off fast! Good Luck!

candiedtamz
on 10/9/13 12:16 pm - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Thanks Lexie! I'm glad you took the time to respond and I appreciate any information I can find to make my weight loss a success. Looks like you've done really well for yourself. Congrats to you and keep up the good work!

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/13 5:03 am
I eat around 60 grams protein and carbs under 20 grams.
puffierus
on 10/9/13 5:46 am - PA

How do you keep your carbs so low?  What do you eat in a typical day. I have not had my surgery yet , but have been logging my food and watching my calories and proteins.   I just started to evaluate my carbs and although I never eat any grains, bread pasta , rice etc I still seem to be at  50 carbs a day. I just noticed that my snap peas and carrots I have everyday for snack have 8 grams of cars per 3 oz serving . 

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/13 5:56 am
Syntrax nectar chocolate truffle is 23g protein & 0 carbs. I try to have 1 scoop everyday.

Mini babybel cheese is 5 gr protein 0 carbs.

Other types of cheeses like provolone, mozzarella.

Fage non fat greek yogurt.

Cottage cheese

Kirkland's deli turkey slice has 5 grams protein 1 gram carb.

Eggs, grilled chicken, lean steak, tilapia have a good amount of protein 0 carbs.

Don't eat much veggies yet though I do have avocado slices once a week to get some healthy fats.
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/13 5:56 am
And I do keep track of what I eat on MFP.
candiedtamz
on 10/9/13 12:23 pm - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Sounds great to me Sexyslim! I'll definitely be trying this when I get to that stage!

OregonGuy2012
on 10/9/13 5:15 am
VSG on 04/04/13

As far as the eating plan, write down everything that goes into your mouth.  Keep up with your liquids and protein intake.  Several people on here are advocates for the very low carb diet during this phase.  I kept my down to around 50g a day, and lost 97 pounds in 6 months.  Some say to keep it below 30g a day.  I would ask your nutritionist and do some research to find what works for you. 

As for exercising I would suggest easing into it.  You do not want to hurt yourself during your honeymoon stage.  Keep it steady and do it as often as you can.   Ramp up the length and intensity of your workouts as you are able.  Early on I would get tired very fast, but my energy would return quickly as well.  So I focused on doing several smaller workouts throughout the day.

good luck!!!

candiedtamz
on 10/9/13 12:19 pm - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Excellent suggestions OregonGuy! Thanks so much!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views