Tell me about the hair loss.

KrissyMisssy
on 11/7/13 10:25 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
I have been lurking around these forums for awhile and I've noticed that pretty much everyone has hair loss problems. I'm just curious to what extent are you talking. I understand that everyone is different, but I'm just curious about what I might expect based on the experiences of others.

Are we talking about just noticing a little more hair coming out in the shower/on my hairbrush than usual? Is it just noticible that your hair is a little thinner? Or are there actually bald spots where the scalp shows through?

saterry
on 11/7/13 10:31 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

good news is-----its not this bad !!!

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Machelle.K
on 11/7/13 10:34 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

Very funny :-)

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

KrissyMisssy
on 11/7/13 11:18 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
Thank goodness! That's what I was picturing in my head

Machelle.K
on 11/7/13 10:33 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

My hair loss started at about the 4th month until about now I'd say I'm "normal." I have very thin hair anyway but I lost about 50%, I cut it off by about 5" so it wasn't weighed down. I'd say it was all over I had no bald spots, and most people did not notice. Where before I could a month without cleaning out my brush, during this time it was daily and sometimes twice. I admit I was getting very worried. The about 6 months out I started noticing new hair growth :-) The new growth is now about 1 1/2" and pretty much gives me scare hair everyday as it sticks straight out. Of course, I did not notice a reduction in hair on my legs! I also ensured I took my vitamins as instructed, with Biotin daily, I don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt and it did help my finger nails grow. I also bough some good shampoo that had a moisturizer and then an additional conditioner at Hair Master it was their brand Design Line, it's a little pricy but I'm sticking with it as it's great. I hope this helps you, I wouldn't let the hair loss thing change your choices.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

KrissyMisssy
on 11/7/13 11:12 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
So as your hair started growing back it started sticking straight out? Mine is curly so I'm wondering if it'll start looking like an Afro! Lol

Nikke2003
on 11/7/13 11:09 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
I'm 6 months out and haven't lost any hair...at least no more than what would come out in the shower or brush normally. I have noticed no difference.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

KrissyMisssy
on 11/7/13 11:17 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
I'm not super stressed about hair loss (like I am about some other aspects), but hearing that it may not affect me has made me feel a lot better.

By the way, I LOVE reading your posts! Not that I don't love reading everyone else's posts, but yours are my favorite. Probably because I can relate to you because my husband is also extremely good looking! After reading one of your posts, it finally occurred to me why we we're always asked if we want the dining checks separate! Lol sorry, a little off topic

tigerbelle
on 11/7/13 9:42 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

my experience is similar to Machelle's...I started losing hair noticeably around 5 months out...I am 6 months out now and it seems to have leveled off some...no bald spots but definitely thinner on top (I am 51 so I had started already having some thinness on top)...only one person--a close family member--seems to have noticed and said anything....and most of my friends tell me it's not noticeable, but I can tell for sure...as others have said, it is a small price to pay for weight loss and better health overall...plus, I am hopeful I will regain hair growth, and this is just temporary

Tracy D.
on 11/7/13 10:13 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm not going to sugar-coat this for you:  my hair loss is bad, it's noticeable and I have to work hard every day to move the hair around to conceal the almost-bald spots.  Seriously, no exaggeration.

I started noticing some shedding at 3 months but when I hit month 5 - whoa!  A LOT comes out in the shower and as I comb through each day.   I have always gotten in 80-100 grams of protein since the 2nd week post-op, I started on biotin and zinc well before surgery, I use Nioxin shampoo, do scalp massage, got the pixie cut -- you name it, I do it. 

My hair guy said it would probably take a good 9-12 months for me to see any new growth.  He says hair is all about hormones and what isn't helping me is that I'm post-menopausal and had very thin hair to start with.  I'm doubtful that I will see a lot of re-growth because of being post-menopausal.  Most women's hair naturally thins after menopause and they don't have the glorious mane they did in their 20's and 30's.  A lot of people on here tell you "oh it comes back!" and some say it comes back even better.  But I bet if you tracked it by age that it's the case for most women in their 50's and 60's.  If there are posters on here in that age range with different experiences I want to hear about it - please give me some hope ;-)

The hair loss thing almost kept me from having this surgery (vanity, vanity thy name is Tracy!).  But I wouldn't trade the weight loss or experiences I'm having now for any amount of hair.  I will purchase a wig and hair pieces if needed.  I've made partial peace with it at this point. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active