Stopping When You're Full

Scribbler
on 1/15/14 1:14 am

Ok, I just ate lunch and put half a bowl of food away when I thought I was satisfied. I'm VERY VERY proud of myself because in the past, I would have just said "meh", killed the whole thing, and tossed the bowl in the dishwasher. See, even this old dog can learn new tricks!  I'm still counting those pesky little calories!

My surgery is in a few weeks and I just wanted to ask the group, especially those who are 4-6 months out or more since I know that immediately post-op, everybody has different healing processes.

How do you know you've had enough to eat... BEFORE the chest pain starts, BEFORE you get the foamies, BEFORE you get the slimies, BEFORE you barf? I'm probably overthinking EVERYTHING at this point, yes. I called the nurse last night in a panic because I've lost 1 pound so far on the pre-op diet and oh god they won't operate on me I'm a basket case this surgery isn't going to work for me I'm a lost cause I'm going to be the patient nobody wants to talk about I'll be that one who gained 20 pounds eating 500kcal a day... you know, the sort of thing she probably hears 10 times a day. *snort*

Does anyone have a 'full signal' that precedes the 'warning signal' that you have definitely had too much and you'd better find a bathroom because you're about to embarrass yourself? I really really hate to vomit. Some folks in my support group only had 1 or 2 incidents and then were fine. I wanna be like them if I can!

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

metk79
on 1/15/14 1:31 am

I'm still learning myself but I usually stop at the first sign of a hiccup.  I started weighing everything too just to be sure I am not overeating.  I have never thrown up, nor have I ever encountered the foamies or slimies. Other people will probably tell you a better way.  My surgery was November 15th, I am still learning how to grasp this thing myself.  Good luck on your journey!!!  Hope to see you on the loser's bench soon!

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

luvbskts
on 1/15/14 1:33 am

I am a month out and I'm still learning.  I've slowed my eating way down...still struggling make 3 bites last 30 min. enlightened 

I have "lost" my dinner, more than once, but that's getting better too.  I thought I was going to lose my dinner last night.  When I got "that feeling" I paced back and forth in my living room.  That helped !  I was proud of myself that I kept everything down.  It took some work though!

Just follow your plan.  Track your food.  You'll be just fine!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/15/14 1:37 am, edited 1/15/14 1:38 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You don't necessarily have to barf or have chest pain or foamies or anything. I have never had any of that. I do sneeze a little sometimes and get a runny nose sometimes but its not a tell tell sign. Because sometimes on the same food and quantity I sneeze and sometimes not. For me once I started eating normal food it was pretty easy. I ate what I measured out and stopped at that. 90% of the time it was just the right amount. A few times I stopped before it was all gone. Never have I increased the amount. I feel satisfied and full (the full range of full from comfortably full to too full) the same way as before surgery, just not on the vast quantity I used to consume just because it was tasty. You will just know. Trust in yourself and in your tool. You are going to do great!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

G5x5
on 1/15/14 1:40 am - VA

It starts by pre-selecting what you're going to eat and when.  Once you focus on the 60+ grams of protein, getting your water in, and minimizing carbs, you'll find there's only so much room in the day.  As you then decide how to space it all out into several meals and/or snack times, it should work out about right from a fullness perspective.

Second thing, keep in mind that you're still thinking like the person you are now and not the post-VSG you.  Everything changes after the sleeve.  It gets easier to listen to your stomach versus your head.  You won't respond to food like you do now and you won't need what you do now.

You only have to over do it once post-VSG and you'll know exactly how not to do that again.  In the first couple of weeks, that shouldn't happen because of the liquids and how slow you're likely to go anyway.  I'd estimate the most likely place for for this to happen is when you shift to mushy foods.  After a couple weeks of bland foods, going for items are a bit too heavy or eating too fast can cause the reaction.  Honestly, it's probably for the best if you experience a near miss on this early on.  That helps train you to prevent future incidents.

One thing to also remember is there is definitely a hunger switch that takes 15-30 minutes to turn off.  You have to learn to let the switch happen and trust that it will.  Some meals just won't take that long.  So a quick 10 minute one egg breakfast may leave you 5-20 minutes short of the switch going off.  Wait it out and you'll see it go off like a light.  Sometimes in those early days I could literally detect the exact moment it went off.  Now I don't pay attention to it that much and it's more subconsious.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Shagdoll
on 1/15/14 1:42 am, edited 1/15/14 1:43 am

In my first three months, the first immediate sign for me was this tight feeling in my tummy.  It's very swollen and can barely hold anything the first month.  You will feel discomfort in general in the beginning.  That worked for me.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

emelar
on 1/15/14 1:50 am - TX

In the very beginning, you measure out what your plan calls for and then you simply have to PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing.  And leave a little time between bites because it takes a little time for the food to move down the esophagus and then from the esophagus to the stomach - it's not immediate.  Stop the minute you think you may be full and wait.

Some point after surgery, it finally dawned on me that my nose runs when I start getting full, so I still pay attention once that "tell" starts.  And you just develop an instinct over time.

jenn227
on 1/15/14 1:58 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Excellent point...I stopped eating in front of the TV or on the computer and actually paid attention to every bite of food!  That is a huge help to be mindful of what/how much you are eating.  I measured & weighed everything too for the first 5-6 months.  My kids make fun of me because when I get full now I sigh, then say I'm full (I didn't realize I was doing that until they pointed it out). 

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Keith L.
on 1/15/14 2:18 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You measure EVERYTHING and only eat what you know you are supposed to. This is a good practice to continue well, forever. There are some things you will go by knowing like I know I can only eat 3 chicken wings so I will share with my kid and just take me 3 and eat a little salad. But for things I don't know my limits on, I always measure.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Scribbler
on 1/15/14 2:27 am
Chookywings!!! I'll be pleased if I'm able to eat a couple of those eventually. My food scale and I will be the best of friends!

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question