Struggling - words of wisdom?

angie M.
on 1/31/14 1:41 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

Hi all,

I am almost 9 weeks post-op.  I recently had to travel out of state for the weekend - which is the time I do all of my prep work for the upcoming week (shopping, cooking, portioning, etc).  Needless to say, I had a hard time getting my protein, water & exercise in while traveling, and I didn't get my prep work done, which I have found is the key to my success.  I've had a terrible time staying on track this week (eating things I shouldn't, still not hitting my daily protein/water goals).  Do any of you have any "words of wisdom" to help stay on-track while traveling or not having the time to prep?  Thanks!

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

G5x5
on 1/31/14 2:01 am - VA

(1) The sleeve doesn't fix any of that for you.  Accept that now, but...

(2) What fixes this is mentally changing the way you're going to behave post-sleeve.  The sleeve is only a tool that facilitates the hunger management portion of the equation.

(3) Tactically speaking, go the for lean mean protein always in every setting while travelling.  Go light on everything else if you must, but get the meat packed in there first.  If you do that you'll likely hit you protein every day without a problem.

(4) Water can be tricky when travelling and is why it's important to train yourself to always have water handy.  That's true whether travelling or not.  You should actually get so trained for it that you feel uncomfortable without it.  That will help reinforce the behavior when travelling.  You'll be searching out the water constantly.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Chrissy W.
on 1/31/14 2:02 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Here's a suggestion... Keep a "go bag" of plan-friendly snacks. It could be a small lunchbox that you keep in the fridge if you like things that need to be refrigerated. Things like string cheese, pepperonis, lunch meat, hard-boiled eggs, packets of tuna, premade chicken salad, etc. If you know you're going to be in a situation that causes you to get off plan, you can grab the bad to take with you. The majority of the things in the bag can bethings that require little/no prep. If you are in a real bind, you can always throw some protein bars in your purse... jus****ch the carb content on those.

I don't (AT ALL) mean to sound rude/bossy, but some prep work is probably going to be required for a while, especially while you're still pretty limited on what you can eat. Later on, when you're eating pretty much whatever, if you get into a bind, you can make healthy choices "on the fly" if necessary (grilled nuggets at Chick-fil-a, etc). Right now is the time to make those good habits and learn the quick and dirty tricks to help you make consistent good choices. 

You should check out the blog theworldaccordingtoeggface. She has TONS of meal suggestions, many of which require VERY little prep.

Best of luck to you :)

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

SophieNJ
on 1/31/14 3:17 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

My hubby (9 mos post op) travels 1 week every month...he gets to his destination, finds a GNC for a 4 pack of Lean Shakes, grocery store for cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, bottled water etc to stash in the hotel refridge...if he knows his clients cafeteria he knows he'll which proteins he'll be able to choose.  Going out to eat?  always look for the grilled chicken or fi**** take a bit of planning, but you can do it!  exercise, if a safe area, just walk!!  in a hotel with an exercise room?  use it!  

good luck

Sophie

Shmoogy
on 1/31/14 3:47 am

For prep work you could start freezing some meals. Every week make one extra meal and then freeze it. If you keep a small stash you would be all set for after you travel.

On the road my SIL always brings individual baggies of protein shakes - compact and convienient.

mountainhiker51
on 1/31/14 3:50 am

For me, traveling meant, junk food. good times and freedom from eating right! From the time I can remember, when we went anywhere that was over an hour long ride, the car was filled with chips, candy, soda...ect.

I know that I cannot do this, and I shouldn't do this, but that little voice in my head will say "oh, you go ahead and have want you want becuase it's not your fault you are out of your zone" or whatever reason I come up with. It boils down to, still having to say no to the kid in you and do what you know is right. You sometimes can't be perfect on your plan, but more than likely you can be close:)

claimmaster
on 1/31/14 4:43 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I agree with cooking more than you need and freezing it in portioned packages.  Like, I've got the flu, so all of my plans have been shot to hell.  But I have a freezer full of meals that I can eat.  Rotate them as you go so they don't get old.

There are more good foods out there then there ever used to be, in airports, in convenient stores.  Sometimes there doesn't seem to be anything.  But keep looking!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

AK_Gipson
on 1/31/14 8:17 am
VSG on 04/14/14

If you can't prep the next weeks foods all at once I would try some of these ideas.

when you get home throw some meat in the crockpot - chicken breasts, cube steak, etc take 4 hours. Take it out before bed and the rest of the weeks covered. Or throw a roast in before you go to work. (Ball of 4-5 pieces of al foil and put the roast on, then it's not cooking in the fat) 

i love steamer bags. I mainly use frozen veggies, so I throw them in the bag. Microwave and eat. This is a lifesaver for me!

Make a pot of chili (yeah, I make mine in the crockpot) and portion it out. Freeze.

dont forget eggs can be for dinner- that's a quick throw together meal.

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

AK_Gipson
on 1/31/14 8:30 am
VSG on 04/14/14

If you can't prep the next weeks foods all at once I would try some of these ideas.

when you get home throw some meat in the crockpot - chicken breasts, cube steak, etc take 4 hours. Take it out before bed and the rest of the weeks covered. Or throw a roast in before you go to work. (Ball of 4-5 pieces of al foil and put the roast on, then it's not cooking in the fat) 

i love steamer bags. I mainly use frozen veggies, so I throw them in the bag. Microwave and eat. This is a lifesaver for me!

Make a pot of chili (yeah, I make mine in the crockpot) and portion it out. Freeze.

dont forget eggs can be for dinner- that's a quick throw together meal.

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

angie M.
on 1/31/14 9:14 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

Thanks to all of you that have offered positive & supportive ideas - I really am listening, & appreciate you taking time to share your experiences!

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 294 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views