What are Your Best Vacation Survival Tips?

Scott S.
on 2/3/14 1:54 am - TX

Help!  I am taking my first big trip since surgery almost 6 months ago.  It will be 5 days for my wife's birthday with 10 of our friends.

I have mentally come down to proteins only and I will be travelling with my protein shakes.  I also am committing to water w/wo Crystal Light when possible.

Oh... Did I mention that this is a trip to Napa Valley..............aka Wine and Food Disneyland for adults???   Yikes!

What are your best tips?  Thanks in advance!

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

mimij
on 2/3/14 1:59 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

At 6 months I didn't leave any room for variation off plan. No matter what I was doing or where I was, I ate lean protein. I didn't consume alcohol, rarely do now. Not sure what your plans and goals are, but when I travel I scope out the options in advance and make my plan.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Scott S.
on 2/3/14 6:32 am - TX

Great point.  I looked and can pre plan my meals at most places we are going.  Thanks for your help.

mickeymantle
on 2/3/14 3:20 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

go somewhere else

never go on a cruise it is nonstop eatting

go somewhere known for terrable food

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Keith L.
on 2/3/14 3:53 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I play a little game when I go on trips. I try as best I can with the resources I have available to stick to my routine. Its a challenge and that is where the game comes in. Basically what can I do to make this just like I am at home. On my trip last week I took my shaker bottle and a bag of protein powder with me so I could have my first thing in the morning protein shake. I got up early and hit the hotel gym and got as close as I could to what a normal morning workout would look like. When I went to restaurants I tried to pick dishes that were as close to possible to what I would eat at home and I did my best to stick to my schedule as far as eating and bed time are concerned. Now of course on vacation you want to enjoy things but enjoying things does not mean you need to take them to excess. Have a glass of wine, have a bite of cheese. Try a dish that sounds good to you, but keep it to a minimum. Part of this process is learning to exercise control.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Scott S.
on 2/3/14 6:34 am - TX

Great advice and great mindset for the game.  Definitely working out.  I think after 5-6 months of workouts, my body and mind aren't the same without it!

frisco
on 2/3/14 4:23 am

Ramp up on commitment and compliance........

Weakness is what makes you eat off plan.....

For WL I totally do not buy into the..... live a little, we are human mentality..... that's for amatuers.

It's just another day in WL mode...... 

Napa Valley means great weather and lot's of things to do to stay active !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Scott S.
on 2/3/14 6:35 am - TX

Agreed.  I am scoping out menus to see what is safe.  Lean meats it is!

butterfly3851
on 2/3/14 7:46 am - TX

For me, it helps to get a hotel room with a refrigerator and go visit a local grocery store. I like to buy some greek yogurt, almonds, cheese, fruit or deli meat.  Packing the Crystal light and protein powder is good. I try to plan snacks every couple of hours that are on plan so I don't get hungry (or mentally hungry) and go completely crazy. I have some of those snacks with me at all times like almonds, protein bar or protein shake.  I try to look at the restaurants menu online before I go out to eat so I have a game plan going in on what I'm going to eat and drink.  For some reason that helps me not stray as much when I've figured it out ahead of time.  Plan the best you can.  Also - try to get some exercise in whenever you can.

As we are in this new lifestyle of healthy eating for the long run, I think we all have to figure out how we are going to handle normal life and vacations the best we can.  If we stumble, get right back on as soon as possible and not beat ourselves up.

Have a wonderful time in Napa - I guess enjoy the beautiful scenery instead of all of the wine and food!! Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views