best and worst part?

Cindy B.
on 3/2/14 9:00 am
VSG on 10/22/12

The best part for me are actually being able to live! Walking without hurting, not struggling to get my fat butt off the couch, being able to get down on the floor and easily getting back up, etc. Buying new clothes is pretty fantastic, especially buying things in normal sizes.  Wearing a size 4 or 6 in pants and small or medium shirts! It was nice to finally succeed at losing weight. 

Some of the worst parts for me were all mostly in the first month. A clear liquid diet was awful especially trying to drink clear protein powder. Getting in enough liquids was pretty difficult at first. Each phase got a bit easier after clear liquids, but it was all difficult for me. My plan had 30 days before I could go on a "normal" diet. I wasn't prepared for just how hard it was going to be to drink, but learned to sip all day. Not drinking with meals was hard at first, but now it's my new life. It took a bit to realize my body wasn't going to starve during the weight loss mode. I had plenty of fat for it to live on. I had to learn to eat slowly, and to really listen to my body as to when it was time to stop eating. I don't like feeling "full" and don't let myself get there at all any more (or really try hard not to).

The good has far outweighed the bad, just like Carol said above. It's not always been easy, but it's definitely been worth it! 

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

kellyomama
on 3/2/14 1:10 pm

Yes, this^^. I want to be able to move without pain. I have been sore and out of shape for so long I cannot even imagine what it will feel like to be healthy. I just want to feel normal.... 

jubjub
on 3/2/14 9:32 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Worst: I can honestly say nothing really - the bad parts have been so trivial compared to the good parts that it really really isn't an issue.  If I had to name one, I'd say it was the times I've gotten distracted while having an enjoyable conversation during dinner and overshot my capacity.  I've only gotten sick once, but came close 2-3 times... not fun... but not that big of a deal.

Too many good things to have a "best" frankly.  But if I had to name one, it happened yesterday.  My cycling coach, based on my progress over the past year, said I was a "genetic freak, born to cycle."  Pretty amazing for someone who spent most of his life as a couch potato.  At 56 years old I'm discovering that I'm an "athlete" with talent for something.  Who would have guessed that was buried under 125 pounds of fat?  Not me.

Tom

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

kellyomama
on 3/2/14 1:15 pm

Sooo inspiring! I love that genetic freak is used as a compliment. I would be so proud.... what an incredible nsv for you!

Machelle.K
on 3/2/14 11:19 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

The best part is feeling fantastic! Knowing I can do what ever I want with confidence. The increased confidence I have at work and in my life. Knowing I've added years to my life is incredible. The worst part the first 3 weeks post op, not knowing your body any more and having to learn what it's telling me. Good luck to you...

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

kellyomama
on 3/2/14 1:17 pm

Thank you, I cannot wait to feel fantastic, too. You all make me even more excited then I already am...

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/2/14 10:04 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Best parts are th obvious being thinner than I ever had in my adult life. Buying clothes at a regular store for a lot less money. Not having people I have seen in many years recoginize me in Wal-Mart. The sex is so much easier and better.LOL

Worst parts and I am suprised nobody has brought this up is the bathroom issues. You have to be diligent on this. May people take fiber or miralax. I was using ground flax seed and fell out of it. Also another worst part is buying clothes so often. I hate clothe shopping.

kellyomama
on 3/3/14 12:58 am

I was surprised noone brought up bathroom issues, as well.

I second the sex thing. I know I'll enjoy it sooo much more  when I dont feel like I am suffocating the whole time lol

2 excellent points. Thank you.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/3/14 2:53 am
VSG on 12/06/12

You are welcome and it is just more stamina as well.

trinoc
on 3/3/14 6:27 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I'm very early in the post surgery journey but here is my "so far":

Best - the fast weight loss is very motivating and it's amazing how quickly I've felt SO much better.  Before, when losing weight slowly, the improvements that come w/ loss came slowly.  But this...it's almost like I can gauge an improvement in my overall well-being and energy on a daily basis!  I'm also sleeping so much better.

Worst - I'm going to be very, very honest and admit something here.  I hate being finished eating before I'm "finished" eating.  This is my eating disorder in full force and it's quite honestly a battle at every meal.  I cook very, very good, very healthy food, if I do say so myself.  I don't like only eating a few bites and having to stop.  Is it worth it?  A million times yes.  But it's a constant battle and it's not something that will just go away.  I will need to be accountable to this feeling, accept that I cannot feed this desire, and be diligent in paying attention to full for the rest of my life.  Otherwise, regain is inevitable.  This is an embarrassing thing to admit after such an amazing opportunity the surgery has afforded me.  But it is my reality.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views