Long time no post!! Lots of pics! And HELP needed!

TaylorH7682
on 3/24/14 12:33 am - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12

Hello all!  It's been a very long time since I posted anything.  But I actually need some advice.  Let me first start by saying that on October 8, 2012 I had VSG.  At the start of my journey I was weighing in at 264.1.  As of today I am down to 129.3.  So a total weight loss of 134.8 lbs.  Went from a BMI of 36.8 to 18.  A size 22 to a size 4.  From Obese to Underweight.  Life is wonderful.  I recently got engaged to the most wonderful man.  I am having the time of my life.  Even talking about having another baby at some point (he has 1 and I have 2).  I seriously have no complaints at all.  I am the happiest I  have ever been.  But here's where I need advice.  I don't know how to make my weight loss stop.  I never thought that would be an issue, but it is quickly becoming one.  I am still losing on a regular basis.  I eat normally.  I sometimes even eat junk food, pizza, mcdonalds, etc.  I do try to maintain a healthy diet though.  I do not work out because I'm afriad it will make me lose even more.  I have an appointment with my doctor in the coming weeks and I will talk to him about it.  But I'm already considered underweight.  Has anyone ever had the issue where the weight loss wuoldn't stop?  I don't want to look emaciated.  I'm tired of people telling me I need to eat.  I DO EAT.  I feel like it's out of my control.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  And as promised... here's some pics...

And my future husband...

Keith L.
on 3/24/14 12:46 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

All I can say is WOW! You look amazing. As for working out, you might want to consider doing it because while you may burn whatever body fat you might have left you will also put some muscle lbs back on too, especially if you skip the cardio and just do weight training. Particularly with you being able to eat you will likely move your body from the weight loss mode back to a "hey I need this to support the activity I am being asked to do" mode.

Food wise stopping weight loss is just the opposite of losing. Calories in - calories burned at rest + calories burned with exercise = calories surplus or deficit. If you have a consistent surplus you should gain weight. I would say your strategy should be the same. Plan your meals, eat on a schedule, just make sure you calories in your plan exceed or equal your calorie expenditure and you will maintain weight instead of losing. Also if you haven't recently get your thyroid and hormone levels checked. They are equally responsible for unexplained weight loss as they are for gains. Lots of things affect hormones in women (like a dramatic increase in sexual activity such as someone might experience being recently engaged), so its not something to worry about necessarily but worth checking out.

Glad to see you are still around!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KGG
on 3/24/14 12:50 am
On March 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM Pacific Time, Keith L. wrote:

All I can say is WOW! You look amazing. As for working out, you might want to consider doing it because while you may burn whatever body fat you might have left you will also put some muscle lbs back on too, especially if you skip the cardio and just do weight training. Particularly with you being able to eat you will likely move your body from the weight loss mode back to a "hey I need this to support the activity I am being asked to do" mode.

Food wise stopping weight loss is just the opposite of losing. Calories in - calories burned at rest + calories burned with exercise = calories surplus or deficit. If you have a consistent surplus you should gain weight. I would say your strategy should be the same. Plan your meals, eat on a schedule, just make sure you calories in your plan exceed or equal your calorie expenditure and you will maintain weight instead of losing. Also if you haven't recently get your thyroid and hormone levels checked. They are equally responsible for unexplained weight loss as they are for gains. Lots of things affect hormones in women (like a dramatic increase in sexual activity such as someone might experience being recently engaged), so its not something to worry about necessarily but worth checking out.

Glad to see you are still around!

Stories like yours are the reason why I'm still considering VSG. You look amazing! Congratulations on your engagement as well. As far as your weight loss, I'm interested in knowing what advise your surgeon will give you. If bodybuilders can do it, I'm sure sleevers can as well. You might need to work on stretching your pouch. From what I've heard, it's a horrible miserable experience to overeat in order to stretch it. Good luck with everything and keep us updated :-)

TaylorH7682
on 3/24/14 1:00 am - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12

Hey Keith!  Long time no talk!  I'm having bloodwork done tomorrow morning for my appt with my doctor next week.  Hopefully that will answer some questions.  I'm mainly concerned because of the talks of having a child in the next few years, I want to be at a healthy weight and be able to take in enough calories for the baby.  My last 2 pregnancies I was obese.  I don't want to be underweight for this one.  I want 1 super healthy pregnancy.  So I have to get everything on track before that happens.  My fiance is a gym nut so maybe and has offered to train to me, I've just been scared to drop more lbs.  But maybe if I avoid cardio and just start weight training I will be able to put on some healthy weight.  Thanks for the tip!

Keith L.
on 3/24/14 1:07 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Definitely do the weight training, you may still lose a little bit but go heavy and low reps on the weights and you should start to see some significant muscle growth fairly quickly. I would still say stay away from the junk food, yes more calories but empty calories. You still need good solid nutrition. Eat more nuts and avocados and things that are maybe more calorically dense. Eat a banana every day. Never skip breakfast. You know the drill. Eat more healthy carbs. More oatmeal, etc. Fruits are better healthier sugars than empty junk. The same approach applies to maintaining weight as losing it. You maybe just don't have to be as mission critical on carbs.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

grayC
on 3/24/14 1:20 am
VSG on 05/01/13

YOU LOOK FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!

congratulations on your engagement, your fiancé is a cutie!!

I'd listen to everything Keith has to say about this..he knows his ****!

I would NOT try to stretch your sleeve..too much of a slippery slope,  maybe increase healthy carbs..

some oatmeal in AM for breakfast... Or add some whole wheat bread for lunch..or

sweet potato for dinner..something like that...

breathemusic
on 3/24/14 7:33 am

Honestly,  the chart might say you're underweight, but based on the pictures, I think you look great.  But most importantly, you look healthy.  You don't have bones popping out or look emaciated or anything like that.  And you're in a size 4, not a 00, so again, I think that's healthy (though I know there are people out there who can wear 00 and are healthy, not all of them are anorexic).  Still talk to the doc and get your blood work done to make sure your hormone levels and thyroid levels are all ok, but I wouldn't freak out too much.  Though I would expect that you weight should start to become stable soon.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views