Good to hear I'm not the only one! (2 months out! Huge list of NSFs!)

Scribbler
on 4/6/14 10:09 am, edited 4/6/14 10:21 am

I'm still only 9 weeks out and I'm sure it will get better... but this is one tough road!

• My upper back hurts 24/7.
  • I get acid issues at night despite taking 2 PPIs and carafate, no coffee, no tea, no spices, not eating after 6, you know, all that stuff. Although as this turned out, a recent bad flare-up is some kind of reaction to a medication I was given for allergies, as I felt quite well and then got a shot and the acid/heartburn/indigestion issues started and then I learned that it's a side effect of this medicine, so no more for me after it wears off in a month or so! I'll deal with the endless runny nose and my ears always being stuffed up.
  • I started sleeping on a bed wedge a few days ago, and that seems to be helping with the night time reflux. (Has nothing to do with the back issue - that's been going on for a month). Although if the reflux really gets going, I just get up because it hits a point where it's not going away. I've lost a lot of sleep. It's like having a new baby in the house! Fortunately I never have heartburn or reflux during the day, it's just when I lie down apparently.
  • My clothes don't fit, and I finally got to the point (40 or so pounds later) where I just can't wear my old clothes anymore to work. It just looks too wrong. My pants were dragging on the ground. I stopped by the Goodwill and found some pants that are still a bit too small, but I'm sure I'll shrink into them in a couple of months, if not sooner!
  • I can eat just a little less than 1/4 cup of food, unless it's something liquid like soup. I measure every time like Frisco said to do and if I'm eating a solid food, I eat under my capacity. I WILL preserve this restriction forever!
  • They put me on mandatory overtime at work like, the second I got back from being on medical leave. I haven't exercised much as a result. But, when I *do* find time to exercise, I found that the weight comes off so much quicker! I would get up earlier to exercise, but the reflux issue has my sleep all screwed up (I've been in touch with the surgeon about it and he says that the reflux should get better with time as the sleeve "matures", and I'm hoping the bed wedge helps me out more this week!)
  • I'm chronically tired... no really. That had me a bit worried, but it seems like everybody goes through that. Some days I just kinda drag myself around! I know I should be running, walking, and lifting weights! What drugs should I take to give myself the energy to do this! (No caffeine because of reflux!)
  • My legs hurt a whole lot, too... matter of fact ALL of my muscles are always achy... it really makes it hard for me to do my walks sometimes but I push through it.
  • Due to the acid/reflux problems, I've busted myself back to a mono diet of just protein shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt and miso soup. I don't like eating out anyway. Causes too much stomach pain and people stare at me. At least it is so easy for me to restrict my calories this way.
  • One blessing of the surgery is that my appetite is still gone! I'm so busy, I could skip all the meals if I didn't time them. I pack up all the food/shakes I'm going to have that day, and just tell myself when it is time to eat something. I bought some little plastic baby-food tupperwares to put my cottage cheese and yogurt in. I drink my shakes out of a coffee cup with a lid on it at work, so everybody just thinks I'm having my coffee.
  • People at work ask about my weight loss but I just tell them I'm stressed out from all the overtime. Seems to be working so far.
  • I'm very very very conscious of my protein, water, calcium and vites. I'm proud to report that I do make sure I get all of those in the minimum quantities every day! (60g protein, 100oz water, multivitamin, 1000mg calcium citrate) Who knew tha****er would taste sooooo good!!! So clean and pure and makes your whole body feel better. I have had nooooo constipation issues what-so-ever because I get my water in!

ETA: oh yeah, and I lost my period (nope not pregnant) apparently this is something that happens too and is normal.

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

mollz007
on 4/6/14 10:53 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I'm about 2 weeks behind you and I can relate to a lot of your post! You are making great progress... sorry about the reflux and your back. I hope that gets better. Congrats on your weight loss! I always enjoy hearing from you.

check out my blog!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/6/14 11:10 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Welcome back, Scribbler. The whole gang has missed you

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/14 12:12 pm - Canada

Sounds like you are on track in a lot of ways so keep up the good work.  I will pray for your health issues to go away.

Blessings, Michelle

musiqsoulchild
on 4/6/14 3:26 pm

I'm so glad you posted this I just made it to my one month point 2 days ago and was following the diet strictly I found when introducing solids like baked fish after 3 weeks gave me the worst foamies episode and heartburn I guess it was too soon even though it was listed in the 3 week menu from my dr.  chicken in a light sauce/ gravy is ok but I really need a hour to eat it. I also find yogurt and liquids soothing no problems when I do that. I know everyone is different, but its nice to hear about your struggles it makes me feel more "normal," lol whatever that means. btw did you ever get the "foamie" I've only seen like three people in the forum mention it so I was just curious if it is more or less common.

Lisa J.
on 4/7/14 12:08 am - OK

Foamies or slimeys are unique--and I really thought that I'd be able to avoid it. But no....

just like everyone else, I succumbed too. To this day my signs for "one bite too much" is either sneezing, watery nose or hiccuping, and sometimes all three. The foamy/slimeys are a weird over-production of saliva that hits you like a ton of bricks....you KNOW you're probably going to puke. I hate puking. I cry when I puke. Actually now that I put it into a description, I've seen my pets occasionally do this too! Weird. But you feel immediately better after you reject that last bite. Amazing. You really go to lengths to avoid it happening again. Which is why some of us stay 'under eating' than over eating the sleeve. There are probably as many sized stomachs as there are patients and surgeons. Nobody is going to have exactly the same experience, but close.

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Scribbler
on 4/7/14 2:37 am

Yup! Everything she wrote...

I haven't managed to give myself the "slimies" by eating... but today, I woke up with "slimies" (before I ate anything), and I got "slimies" at lunch after eating 1 bite. Gross!!! I called my surgeon's office and am awaiting the callback. Somethin' ain't right in there, or at least I don't think so. May need to get it looked into.

TexasTerritory
on 4/6/14 7:23 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Sorry that you're having such a bad experience. Hopefully things will improve.

My post-op and recovery were awesome. I didn't have any problems. I measure my food and undereat my sleeve. It has been a life changer. I am so pleased.

Hang in there.

White Dove
on 4/6/14 9:15 pm - Warren, OH

I know you are joking about need a drug to get energy, but:

SPORTea is a great tasting blend of green and black tea.  It contains ginseng and vitamin C.  It can give you a great energy boost with no caffeine and no sugar.  One cup keeps me energized all day.  I use a bag of it in a cup of microwaved ho****er and let it seep for about four minutes.  Or you can do the iced tea version. You can get it on Amazon or at sport or health stores.  See if it works for you.  I cannot handle any caffeine and this stuff really gives me that Energizer Bunny feeling.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Scribbler
on 4/6/14 9:28 pm

I'm not having tea because of the heartburn - even herbal tea now is making it worse. I'd like to, but I would have to choose between tea and sleep at this point. I was expecting a little heartburn post-sleeve, but I didn't expect it to get progressively worse like it has, sadly.  :C

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question