telling about vsg =losing friends?

kellyomama
on 5/9/14 4:40 am

Just got my surgery date of June 3rd. A new friend of mine (we just moved to a new town) asked what surgery I was having and when I revealed it was a bariatric surgery, she stopped responding to my texts. It's been an hour since I told her and now nothing. No response. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I am afraid I just lost her as a friend...she is naturally very skinny and I doubt she would understand obesity struggles, etc..  I feel very sad if this is indeed going to cost our friendship. Did anyone else have something similar happen?

Thanks!

Kelly

tysmom01
on 5/9/14 4:48 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Fortunately, I have not experienced this. I am a pretty private person with my personal things so I only told my family and my 4 very dear close friends. They were all extremely supportive, and one friend even decided to have the surgery too. My opinion of your situation, if she's going to stop talking to you because you are deciding to have the surgery, then she's not a very good friend to begin with and you don't need to worry about losing her. I know it would be very hurtful to lose someone you thought was your friend. But if this is what causes your friendship to end, then you're better off. Maybe just give her a little more time to respond before writing it off as a loss of a friend. She may need time to understand what it is you're doing and why you're doing it.  

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

kellyomama
on 5/9/14 4:51 am

Thank you for responding. I know you are right about everything. I will give her more time and we will see...This may change my approach to being  so open about this surgery in the future, though...

AngloAm
on 5/9/14 5:18 am

Just an hour? Maybe she's on the throne or at work or having a nap. Wait for a day or two. If not, you found her, so you can find another friend. You've got mad friend finding skillz.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Flygirlmedic
on 5/9/14 5:21 am

I am a firm believer that "true" friends stick by your side no matter what. If this person can't stand by you when you are trying to make your life better and become a healthier person then maybe they are not your friend at all.

Give it some time. It has only been a short time since you told her. If she truly wants to be a friend then she will stand by you and support you.

VSG 2/25/14 Dr. David Kim    HT 5'5" 51yo SW 230 CW 170.2 GW 135

kellyomama
on 5/9/14 5:27 am

Thank you for your advice. Still no word yet. I had wanted to tell her in person bc I felt that eould be easier and I could give my whole speel,  but this just presented itself and I felt like it'd be awkward not to tell. Wish I had waited...

EmmyK
on 5/9/14 5:44 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

When someone is texting you and suddenly stops, especially when you've said something you'd like some support regarding, it is difficult.

I hope that she gets back to you soon. 

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

kellyomama
on 5/9/14 6:16 am

Yes this was what made if so weird and got me thinking... We had been texting back and forth all morning, then I told her about surgery and it was a ghost town.  She did just answer back and was super supportive. It was such a relief because she was the first friend I told, and was anxious about it to begin with.  But, all is well :) thanks for the support everyone!

Gwen M.
on 5/9/14 6:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yay!  Maybe she just needed time to process.  You've had lots of time to think about this, after all!  Maybe she just wanted to take some time before replying to make sure she did it right :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kellyomama
on 5/9/14 7:05 am

Thanks GwenMo :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views