Eating way below calories/carbs but still not losing....

Desari63
on 7/24/14 8:51 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

About 8-10 pounds a week for the 1st few months then it tapered off with the stalls and such. I guess I was expecting too much after so long. I thought it would be easy to lose it again once I went back and started at basics again...

Guess not..LOL! Oh and yes, I'm looking for that damn stall really soon...

Desari

Barbara McKeown

califsleevin
on 7/24/14 2:56 pm - CA

It sounds like you are experiencing a fairly normal first week or so of a dedicated weight loss effort, where your body first taps its quick energy reserves of glycogen, and the water that keeps it in solution. Once that is exhausted, we typically have that dreaded third week stall before getting into actually burning the fat that we want to burn. Since you have been out of loss mode and your weight has been stable or gaining for so long, you are basically starting out from scratch on a new weight loss effort, and your body is responding accordingly. So, as is usually the case when we see a rapid short term gain or loss, water weight is usually a big factor, which will work its way out given continued effort - so don't give up when you hit that inevitable stall in the next week or two.

What have your calorie and carb levels been before this latest effort? Maintenance calorie levels for us can vary widely depending on many factors - some of us are stable at 2000 calories or higher while others may have stability points around 1500, 1200, 1000 calories or less - I know of a few who maintain as low as 600 calories; so it is possible to be eating below some specified calorie/carb level and still not lose.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views