Eating way below calories/carbs but still not losing....

Desari63
on 7/24/14 1:19 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Okay..who else out there is eating way below calories and carbs and still not losing anything? I have put on about 16 pounds in the 2 1/2years since I had my surgery so I have seriously cut back on my calories/carbs and increased my proteins (not alot). I have lost 6 pounds in a week...is that normal? I remember when I first had the surgery, my body would lose that much in about 2-3 days.

I'm not discouraged at all but it just seems...weird. Any thoughts? I still can't have alot of foods that I need for proteins so I'm scrounging around trying to find anything that will give me that and not the calories or carbs to go along with it.

Thanks in advance for the comments...

Desari

Barbara McKeown

mmsmom
on 7/24/14 1:32 am - Woburn, MA

I used to be able to lose 8 lbs in a week, but not any more.  I think size and age play a part.  I'd say 6 lbs in a week is good.

Desari63
on 7/24/14 7:14 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Thank you MM...it's been so long since I've lost anything, I was looking for numbers like when I first had the surgery. Unrealistic I know but hey...I can hope..LOL!

Desari

Barbara McKeown

Valerie G.
on 7/24/14 1:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

6 lbs in a week and you're all worried....are you serious?  Many would jump for joy at that.  It's better than normal - it's damn good!

You're not as big as you were at early post-op, so your body doesn't require as much energy to function.  I wouldn't be sweating calories as much as carbs, either, for good protein has high calories.  Not to mention that if you get too few calories, your body goes into hibernation mode and your metabolism slows down...thus slow weight loss, so your worries could really come to fuition in a more realistic way.  Try eliminating all "white" things like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, sugar and prepare foods yourself instead of pre-packaged overprocessed chemicalized crap.  You should get some decent results without feeling deprived.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

civilmomma
on 7/24/14 1:57 am
VSG on 03/07/14

but you are losing...you lost 6 pounds in a week. 

at 5m out I am *only* averaging a loss of about 3.5 pounds per week.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

greensleeved
on 7/24/14 2:16 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Six pounds in a week is AMAZING for anyone but especially for someone as far out as you are. 

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 4:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

"Normal" weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week.  So, no, 6 pounds isn't normal.  

Why can't you eat a lot of foods at 2.5 years out?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Desari63
on 7/24/14 7:05 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

I have no idea...I have tried and tried to eat alot of things like fish, chicken, etc but the tummy is not cooperating. Now chicken is coming back slowly (and I mean slowly, like once a month maybe) so I try to eat what I can without all the carbs. I love Ricotta bake but don't eat alot of it, turkey bacon is okay but not like the "real" thing so for me it's mostly beef and a little pork. I still don't get hungry but I am getting by the past week on about 600 calories if not less than that.

I'm okay with what I can't have as I'm not missing it in the first place. This was just a question that I thought I should ask because I'm expecting numbers like when I first had surgery and I can't get that out of my head....

Desari

Barbara McKeown

INgirl
on 7/24/14 5:22 am

Not sure why you can't eat proteins like eggs, meats, fish etc to get what you need (women don't need a whole lot- 70g +/- depending on activity/age/muscle.) 

But 6lbs a week, and you are concerned? I am 3+ years out and unless I fasted, I couldn't possibly lose that in a week.. well, maybe if I was coming off a carb-binge and was dropping fluids (which that in all likelihood is- water retention leaving..)

I am super-duper happy if I drop 5lbs in a month when I need to, I aim for 4.. any extra is a bonus. I weigh maybe once or twice a month. Keeps things more realistic as I am focusing on my behavior and not on the scale. Good luck & I hope you get to the bottom of why you can't (tolerate? fit?) in a decent variety of healthy proteins (that would be the first mystery I'd be trying to solve if it were me..) Scrounging usually leads to processed food-stuffs which will impact the scale in not nice ways over time.

Desari63
on 7/24/14 7:09 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Eggs are okay for me..it's the fish, chicken, etc that my tummy seems to rebel at. I'm starting to be able to have chicken but not very often (like once a month if I'm lucky). If I try it something, only one time out of all the tries will it not both my tummy. When I say scrounging, I'm staying away from the processed things as much as possibel because of all the crap that's in it and I do prepare things at home that I bring to work with me to have throughout the day.

So I'm thinking maybe the 6 pounds is just fluid rentention but I don't drink alot as well. It takes me almost all day just to drink 40oz of fluids. Water is just icky so I drink just plain old tea with Splenda in it while I'm at work.

Barbara McKeown

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views