Hair today...gone tomorrow

TexasLady52
on 7/29/14 11:58 pm
Revision on 06/10/14
On July 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Pacific Time, geekMOnster, Purveyor of Fine Meats wrote:

The hair loss generally occurs at 3-4 months post surgery, and can last for several months.  All the protein, biotin and magic wands in the world won't keep it away if it's going to happen to you.  I started taking biotin to help strengthen the regrowth, but it won't do anything to prevent shedding.

Unless you're smart like Gwen and shave your head, you notice immediately when it starts (damn you, Gwen  )

I think you are right.  I'm seven weeks and my hair hasn't started falling out yet but I expect it to.  I had an emergency hysterectomy several years back.  Exactly 90 days later my hair fell out in big clumps.  The doctor told me this happens when your body goes through a shock.....it could be surgery, death, car wreck....etc.  Mine grew back but it was never as thick or as course as it was.

LosingSarah
on 7/28/14 11:02 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Mine started at about 4-5 months out and is still falling out at 9.5 months out. One good thing is that while it is still falling out I can see regrowth (spiky new hairs) coming in where I assume it first started coming out. Oh, and I also have, or had should I say, a super dense head of hair. This is good because while it still comes out it doesn't look thin. I can tell it's thinner since I know my hair, and know how much I've lost. Another good thing is that I haven't had to get my hair thinned out when i go in to get it cut ;)

heartOtexasgirl
on 7/28/14 12:51 pm

I already have thin hair, so I'm really hoping I don't end up BALD!

White Dove
on 7/28/14 2:03 pm - Warren, OH

It does not happen to everyone, but if it does it starts at about three months and usually ends at about nine months out. Protein and vitamins won't prevent it, but will keep your body healthy. 

The body considers hair just a decoration and it will spend the limited amount of food that it is getting to nourish the heart, lungs, bones, brain and necessary organs and systems.  Hair might go into hibernation for a while.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ReclaimingPaula
on 7/28/14 3:10 pm
VSG on 01/28/14

Add me to the list of those who have thick hair that is much thinner.  I am grateful for that, because I really do wonder what it would look like if I started with much less hair.  No one else would notice it, but I can sure tell because my hair is EVERYWHERE.  I trust, as others have said, that it will eventually stop falling and go back to normal.

Surgery 01/28/2014. HW: 310. Consult 290, Surgery 270.  CW = 150   

Atlanta_Forever
on 7/28/14 9:54 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

Mine started falling out right at the 3 months post op. I have fine hair so it is not pleasing to see it go.

On the other hand, pulling on my new jeans which are four sizes smaller then I used to wear makes me realize a few months of thin hair isn't so bad!

Hang in there!

Gail D.
on 7/28/14 11:54 pm

I thought I had healthy, decent hair (my hair is fine, but I have a lot of it) and my heart broke when it began falling out. But, I did begin Biotin along with my other vitamins after surgery. I take it religiously. My hair fell out for abut 6 weeks, and when it grew back in it's healthier and stronger than it's EVER been. I think it's the Biotin.

My nails are amazing, too. I keep them long and I have to file them back every two weeks or they get too long and I can't type.

And yes... I broke out like crazy, too. Just for a few weeks, and then it cleared up. I've been told my skin looks better than ever.

noedangling
on 7/29/14 2:48 pm

How much biotin do you take a day? I'm taking 5000 mgs and the pills kind of make me sick. I have to take them when my stomach is full. Thanks!

Lemily
on 7/29/14 12:04 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I went through the same thing. Im at 6 months and the loss rate has slowed. I saw my surgeon last week and he said that once the stage of "rapid" weight loss slows (so like 5 pounds/month or less), the hair will start coming back..fingers crossed. My labs are perfect, but I still take 10,000mcg of biotin per day and have been using Nioxin products for thinning hair #4.

NatWaddyDoDaDay
on 7/29/14 7:07 pm

I'm almost 6 months out and I didn't notice a significant loss until my hair dresser pointed it out. I have thin hair, but a lot of it. I cut about 4 inches off and it was to the middle of my back before that. My stylist also said that she noticed quite a few baby hairs, which I'm happy to say, she said is a good sign that it's coming back in. No acne here but I do have a massive zit on my chin. I think a dirty makeup brush is the culprit though. 

Most Active